Need Help From A Computer Geek

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Computer wise I'm always behind in technology by my job has made it necessary to step up a bit. I am now in the process of switching to a much better computer and have come across a small snag.

Instead of transferring all of my data, songs, pictures etc.. to the new computer's hard drive, I figured I would just install the old hardrive as a slave in the new computer. There in lies the problem, the old hard dive has no identification on it what-so-ever. I need to know how to find out which jumper to use to switch it to a slave.

The only info I have is it's a Compaq Presario 5242 and a 10G drive. Will it work if just swap the jumper around until one works?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

There are normaly three jumper settings MA for master SL for slave CS cable select setting, as for weather or not it will fix your problem I could not tell for sure, but I believe the setting you want will be SL and you will want to hook it up to your secondary port on the mother board.

There are normaly three jumper settings MA for master SL for slave CS cable select setting, as for weather or not it will fix your problem I could not tell for sure, but I believe the setting you want will be SL and you will want to hook it up to your secondary port on the mother board.

Yes that's the setting I want but there's four jumper settings on this drive, none are marked in any way.

What I would do, personally, is get an external USB-IDE case. I got mine for about $15 off ebay a while back.

What I would do, personally, is get an external USB-IDE case. I got mine for about $15 off ebay a while back.

I just looked at those, does it not matter where the jumper is using one of those?

I'd like to go this route if possible, no cost if I can get it to work.

Anyone else know about the jumpers?

With the USB IDE case, your drive would need to be set to Master/Cable Select.

edit; I almost forgot. If your harddrive is formatted NTFS, you will have to move your data that you want to transfer over to a "public" folder. You will have to bolt the drive back into the original machine, boot up, and make a folder in the root of the C: drive. Something like "\data I want", or to that effect.

The key reason being, XP employs a rather basic security that prevents the vast majority of users from accessing "private" data, by way of "group privileges".

Once you move it to the public folder, shut the machine down, remove the drive, and put it into an external case. Pull all the data you want off, and you are set.

Plus, it makes it easier to find it all once you connect it to the external drive.

Or you can use the "Documents and settings transfer wizard" to do the same thing. Just aim it at the public folder you made earlier in this post ("\public").

Last edited:
why is it always me and heartbreak that respond to these threads?? lmao

i have never had an issue with copying files from another drive, did you have a password set up on the old machine to log into windows? can you get a pic of the drive? or at least the details on make and model? you can always slave it and take ownership of the profile folder, then copy what you want over.

Computer wise I'm always behind in technology by my job has made it necessary to step up a bit. I am now in the process of switching to a much better computer and have come across a small snag.

How new is it? The newest PCs don't use the same hard drive connection as an old Compaq like that.

Racer 1966 said:
Instead of transferring all of my data, songs, pictures etc.. to the new computer's hard drive, I figured I would just install the old hardrive as a slave in the new computer. There in lies the problem, the old hard dive has no identification on it what-so-ever. I need to know how to find out which jumper to use to switch it to a slave.

The only info I have is it's a Compaq Presario 5242 and a 10G drive. Will it work if just swap the jumper around until one works?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

It's impossible to tell without the maker of the drive. It should be on the label somewhere, even if it's branded as a Compaq disk. Names to look for are something like:

Seagate
Maxtor
Quantum
IBM
Western Digital
Samsung

Maybe you could post a photo of the label (in focus please I need ot read it!! :) )

If all else fails you could just buy a USB enclosure and use it as an external drive.

You could send it to godale and let him do it for you!!!!

Ummmm... NO! I read his experience LOL!!!!

Webbage, beason, guys like I said there is NO identification on this thing at all. Not even a Compaq label. The only thing I do see is a couple of bar codes. I'm going to see if I can find the FCC # and trace it back that way.

I'll post pics tonight but it's looking like I may need to go with Heartbreak's advice.

Thanks for trying to help guys, but I figured it out. Turns out it's Seagate drive, no jumpers makes it a slave. But then when I tried to boot up, it was detected and said slave but, but would be interuprted and try rebooting over again. I had to enter the BIOS and change the boot sequence and then everything works fine!

Thanks again!

Sweet, glad you got it sorted man. At least if it's a Seagate then it's got half a chance of still keep working after all these years. Dunno how much use it'll be at only 10GB mind you - I think a full install of Mass Effect would nearly fill that :D

This is an old post I ran across. Dam James, I gotta give credit where its due, that was HILLARIOUS. I was litterally laughin out loud and the dog came to see what was going on. Even spit some NOS on the keyboard.
:hehe:

Sweet, glad you got it sorted man. At least if it's a Seagate then it's got half a chance of still keep working after all these years. Dunno how much use it'll be at only 10GB mind you - I think a full install of Mass Effect would nearly fill that :D

I know I was shocked when I saw that. I don't think I ever built a computer with a drive that small. When I was about 8, I called Gateway about a computer and 13 Gig was big, that's the furthest back I can remember. When I started knowing what a hard drive was, 30 gig was about the smallest anyone would bother with.

Shoot, I remember back in the day, 20mb was large. Thats' MB, as in Megabyte... Then the Doom demo came out, and changed all of that.

This is an old post I ran across. Dam James, I gotta give credit where its due, that was HILLARIOUS. I was litterally laughin out loud and the dog came to see what was going on. Even spit some NOS on the keyboard.

I know I was shocked when I saw that. I don't think I ever built a computer with a drive that small. When I was about 8, I called Gateway about a computer and 13 Gig was big, that's the furthest back I can remember. When I started knowing what a hard drive was, 30 gig was about the smallest anyone would bother with.

Shoot, I remember back in the day, 20mb was large. Thats' MB, as in Megabyte... Then the Doom demo came out, and changed all of that.

Ahhhh............ aren't the little babies cute? :hehe: J/K

I remember when it was big deal to have personal CALCULATOR!!!! :OMG:

One of the first computers I used was the Commodore 64, as in 64k!

Hehe, I remember those. I have an old tandy up in the shed. I haven't messed with it to see if it's even functional.

I've seen pics of the Commadore, it was a work of genius for its time!

Yes, I try.

Back