Need answer fast!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver78

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey folks!...My 3.3 blew up last week (skirt broke on the piston) Long story short..I have all my parts to rebuild the engine, However when I took the NOVA cooling head off this engine it did not have a copper washer...My new sleve and piston came with a washer...To use or not to use. I don't want to put this thing together untill I know. Thanks!

do you mean the large washer that goes between the top of the sleeve and the head? You definitely want some sort of shim in there. if not, you'll get tons of compression, but probably predetonation which will make it hard to tune and pit your piston.

Every nitro engine I have taken apart had at least one shim under the cooling head and the 3.3 is no exception. More than likely when the old head was taken off to put the Nova on, the washer was stuck to the old head so you or whoever put it on didn't see it.

Last edited:
Yes, I am talking about the large head washer...I will go ahead and put the one in that I recived with the new sleeve and piston set....I wonder if the reason the piston exploded is because there was none to begin with.....hmmm

Well, it probably didn't help it any! ;)

The washer gives you proper compression and it's also made out of a soft material to help seal the head to the sleeve. So without it, you more than likely get air leaks.