My VX 18 engine keeps shutting off

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinthercman12

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I tried starting my vx 18 engine on my nitro car and it would start but only run for a minute then shutoff. Then it would take 5 to ten minutes for it to start and do the same thing. So i thought it was gummed up inside so i brought it in my garage and took the motor apart and cleaned it out with wd 40. then i put it back together and now it wont start. It wont even get prime.

I tried starting my vx 18 engine on my nitro car and it would start but only run for a minute then shutoff. Then it would take 5 to ten minutes for it to start and do the same thing. So i thought it was gummed up inside so i brought it in my garage and took the motor apart and cleaned it out with wd 40. then i put it back together and now it wont start. It wont even get prime.

How long has the sat ,an when was the last time you ran it ,also ,did you leave any fuel in the tank when you
stored it?

When i tried this i had ran it like two days before

when you say "only run for a minute then shut off", was this running it around for a minute? or was this idling for a minute? was the glow igniter removed during this process? and if so when? right after fire? few seconds then took it off?
checked the carb making sure no fuel was leaking out of the needle slots? the second time were you priming it yourself? or blocking the exhaust and priming it that way? were you unable to get it to prime either by blowing in the exhaust tube/blocking exhaust? or was it unable to prime itself to pull fuel through while running? just cranking the motor over wont typically prime the engine. was it a hard pull of the pull start? or was it like normal? have you checked the glow plug?

it would idle for a quick then shut off. I was priming it by covering the exhaust and I didn't get primed. when I was trying to prime it I did have a hard pull.

No it wasn't even getting any fuel the first time I started it after a couple of days it start and would idle but once I went to hit the throttle it died even if I didn't hit the throttle it died and I can't get it started.

No it wasn't even getting any fuel the first time I started it after a couple of days it start and would idle but once I went to hit the throttle it died even if I didn't hit the throttle it died and I can't get it started.
you did check your glow plug too right?
you check the idle needle setting? could be closing to far.
all needles set to factory settings?
if its not getting fuel to the carb from manually priming, there is some sort of blockage in your carb (could even be the idle gap closed off) and or in the fuel tank pickup.
have you swapped fuel lines?
cleaned the tank?

not trying to badger you with questions just going through the more basic stuff first to make sure, we all overlook something simple at one point or another!

yes I checked my glow plug it works, the idle needle is fine, no there not to factory settings, I have never cleaned my tank and I never have changed the lines.