::::My Jato Build thread::::

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtie223

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The build of my Traxxas Jato Nitro R/C truck.
When I got out of the R/C's several years ago the Traxxas Jato was just hitting the market. I would go to Hobby Town and just :d all over it. haha But they were out of my price range at the time and plus the wife would have killed me. I had so much money in my current R/C's at the time. Out of the box these run 70+ MPH
A deal came up recently that I couldn't pass up on a decent used one so I grabbed it up. :wahoo
Here it is the day I got it. I was like a kid with this thing. Haha
IMG_5678.jpg

It didn't take long before I broke it. :(
IMG_5680.jpg

So I looked up parts to fix it then the obsession of these dang things came back. Haha it first started with parts just to replace those that needed replaced. Then when I get board I find myself looking at hop up parts for it. I will update this thread as I get new parts and changes to it. You all will have first hand accounts of my sickness. :34 I just can't leave anything alone. :graon.

here are some cool pics that I took of it when I very first got it a few weeks ago....
IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5653.jpg

A couple of the first parts I bought was a replacement Air filter. It needed one but instead of stock I got a Nice Blue aluminum filter case where the top unscrews to replace or clean the foam filter. Look really good and very functional. :21
DSCN2667.jpg

I replaced the rear shock tower as well. as you can see in the pic above before the wheelie bar it flipped over backwards sliding on it's tops a few times grinding down the body mounts.
IMG_6101.jpg

I also got a replacement battery box and a wheelie bar so it would quit flipping over when I got on the throttle hard. :)
DSCN2664.jpg

Today I got a couple goodies in for the Jato..
A racing tuned blue aluminum resonator and header....
IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

And a killer brand new Body!! I only put a few of the decals on the body to keep a clean look. I couldn't fit 223 on the number plate so I just put 23 on there :)
IMG_6103.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

Today I found a Carbon fiber Overlay for the bottom of the chassis. (I am a sucker for carbon :D ) Also got a brake kit on it's way. The brakes are worn out and I found a steel, drilled rotor with carbon brake shoes.
Also got some better shock springs on there way. :21

>:D
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8Itov88D0"]Traxxas Jato with an OS MAX 18TM (3.0) motor - YouTube[/ame]

IMG_5676.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, I need to start working on my Jato again. Welcome back to the addiction.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Your pics don't work for me?

I see them fine.

I see question marks, maybe cause I'm on my iPod on tapatalk. Sucks too cause I'm really interested in the Jato right now.

The standard header you got are a pita & can leak around the engine block, the platinum header held on with the spring is the better option.
Your car looks good though.

The standard header you got are a pita & can leak around the engine block, the platinum header held on with the spring is the better option.

I've never had a Traxxas header leak, until I used it on my Dynamite .19.

Gotta give your buddy a good ribbing!! Sounds like yours runs great! Your buddy may wanna get some tuning advice from you though. I dont think its ever taken me over 3:45 to get a rig goin!! :)

Hella funny I was thinking the same poop

Welcome to rcnitrotalk.com. Your Jato looks and sounds great! That's one of the rigs I've always wanted but have never had. Now yours is making me really want one.

Welcome to RCNT Curtie, I'm actually not to far from you I'm just over the hill in NC, there are a few of us around the region. Good looking/running Jato.

These things are pretty popular around here as well, must be the stupid quick speed. Good looking Jato you have!

Thanks guys. Yeah my buddy got a bit frustrated trying to get that going. It has set for three years. He had to just tear it all down, clean the one way bearing and carb to get it right. It's an old T-maxx
This Jato is a blast with the OS MAX 18TM motor! I am surprised it's not as popular. Every site I visit like this one has sections for everything else but the Jato. :( Although this is the only site I have signed up on. Alot of good info on here.

Yesterday I got in my Progressive Rate springs. Much better than the stock ones!!
DSCN2670.jpg

DSCN2671.jpg

DSCN2672.jpg

DSCN2674.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

I will look into that. Thanks. Although this one hasn't leaked yet. Still has the O-ring. And I smeared some black silicone with a really stiff spring.

Last edited:
Great build.
I'll be driving past Exit 407 on my way to Johnson City on Tuesday. Stand by the ramp and give me a wave. :hi:

Great build.
I'll be driving past Exit 407 on my way to Johnson City on Tuesday. Stand by the ramp and give me a wave. :hi:

Were you at the race yesterday at Chilhowee?? I will be in KNoxville on Tuesday. I Drive for Budweiser. :D

Attachments

• track.jpg
    track.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 154
  • track1.jpg
    track1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 198
  • track2.jpg
    track2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 135
  • track3.jpg
    track3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 140
WOW....tracks popping up everywhere, that track looks fun!!

That's even my lhs with the banner on the tower! I'm always getting parts for helis, tanks and other unusual stuff so I guess they never think of me as far as tracks go.
I'm sure that one is strictly for comp racing, and that's not what I'm into....yet.

That's even my lhs with the banner on the tower! I'm always getting parts for helis, tanks and other unusual stuff so I guess they never think of me as far as tracks go.
I'm sure that one is strictly for comp racing, and that's not what I'm into....yet.

Neither would we, have they seen your Savage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Rolex, your could just wrap your Savage in plastic bags and bubble wrap and then go race!:hehe: I'm sure you would make the mains! :third_place:

They do it every other Saturday. Practice on Wed's. If you go to Hobby Town then you should know Jesse, He races there. he has the green/black short course truck in the first pic. There is also a track for guys like us close to oak ridge (karns split level track) and a new track that just opened in Dandridge, and Kingston. Also found an awesome low key R/C shop on Top Side Road in Alcoa. Was there yesterday. They have a bit more stuff than Hobby Town. Better place too.

---------- Post added at 5:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:01 PM ----------

I am also working on a bash track. Hoping to build one a Mountain motorsports on exit 407. There is a hill climb, rocks for crawlers, the road is great for Air planes and heli's and a big Parking lot for On-road. Several guys from my web site. www.easttnbikers.com meet there on some sundays to bash around. We have alot of fun. So many members are getting into R/C's we have created a new section on our forum for it. lmao
Here's some pics from last week...
IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5768.jpg