My first kit build (RC8T ce)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zdragon71

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok guys, I'm gonna be starting on my first kit build this week and figured i would share pics along the way. I've chosen the Associated RC8T championship edition and a LRP Z.28R for the power plant. I've already built the engine for a total cost of $116 including boca lp ceramic bearings, new sleeve/piston, a brand new complete carb and a sullivan tiger drive for starting system. May go with bump box later when i actually get into racing it. The exhaust is a THS hard coated truggy system and clutch is my Buku with heavy composite shoes and a racers edge titanium nitride coated 14 tooth bell. I have to pick the kit up at hs this evening and get started on the build. Here are some pics of the powerplant for now. Will post pics of kit and progress as i go. :D

---------- Post added at 9:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:37 AM ----------

3y5y6a8a.jpg
aqasa5e6.jpg
ytete3yg.jpg

So far the build total cost is around $875. I've saved a couple hundred dollars by using the Futaba S3305 servos, 5 cell tenergy hump pack, buku clutch and flywheel and RX/TX Out of my hpi trophy buggy. Gonna clean buggy up and sell it as a roller when i get a chance. Already have the ofna .28 sold locally for $50.

Well here is the starting point. Lol
haze3y6u.jpg
utyhy7an.jpg

Gonna get started on it tomorrow.

Messed with it for maybe an hour last night.
a2ygenu9.jpg
ty8u4una.jpg

Also got the diffs oiled up and assembled.

Day two progress. Got front end finished up minus the shocks.
uqa2uqez.jpg
syze4u4e.jpg
taqe9umu.jpg

Rear end and wing completed this evening.
tysy2apu.jpg
ere3u2ap.jpg
8unegetu.jpg
3u2edete.jpg

Couldn't leave it alone last night so got the center diff, brakes and shocks installed. Ran into my first problem too. The center diff bottom plate is shaped different from the one shown in manual but the screws did at least line up with holes. Problem cane when i tightened it all down the spur gear was touching inside of plate and preventing any movement. I had to file the inside edges at an angle about 2.5mm on each side. After done it fits great and spins freely with about 1.5mm gap in between teeth and plate now. Gonna try to finish it up and install engine and servos this evening.
9agahy3u.jpg
u5uvuvu6.jpg
5ebu6usy.jpg

Got it finished up this evening and actually got a tank of fuel thru breakin before it rained. The LRP fired right up no problem and sounds really good witb the THS system on it for sure. Got my buggy tires on it while I'm breaking it in. Holding temps thru entire tank at 175-180 with very rich settings. Just a few minor suspension adjustments and toe in up front and she will be good to go! Only thing left is painting and trimming the jconcepts body. Tires are mouted and glued now just gonna let them cure over night. So far I'm loving this build and if the first tank is any indication of how the lrp is gonna perform I'm gonna be happy with it all around. Will post pics of final product when the body is painted. Hope you guys enjoyed the updates through out the build over the past few days.
hepumyqe.jpg
y6e4enu4.jpg
u2y4e2em.jpg
tyve8ygy.jpg
aja2ajus.jpg
bu7uta6a.jpg
a9u6u4un.jpg
u6a7unym.jpg
mypymehe.jpg

Very nice build! The fit and finish on the associated kits is usually top notch....at least it was an easy issue to solve. It is hard to stop the build process isn't it? I tend to blow through kits pretty fast as I love the build!

Yes it was quite therapeutic for me at the least. The only other issue i ran into was the engine mount plates were designed for a bump start. So i had to modify and add my hpi trophy buggy plates as spacers for it to house the pullstart/tigerdrive backplate I've chose to use. But again it was a simple modification and all fits nice and neat. Thats what the orange plates are under the engine mounts. I do believe i will be building everything i buy from a kit from now on. Just the difference in quality parts in a kit vs RTR are worth the money. I'm really looking forward to finishing the body now and getting some track time in with this one.

I was confused with the center diff riser as well when I was building my kit. Search "rc8t center diff riser supplement" it will explain it. You didn't have to grind off any material.
Sent from my XT907

Your gonna be real happy with it! AE makes a great truck.

Last edited:
Mudslinger the riser plate i had is the updated one and it was installed correctly. It still touched ever so slightly when tightened down no matter how i tried to arrange it. Even though it only mounts one way. Thanks for the input anyways and i did just search and find the pdf file from associated on the updated version. I didnt have to file enough to damage anything and now the gear clears the riser plenty and works great. I'm gonna go get started on painting and trimming the body now and if the rain holds off i will finish break in today. Thanks for the replies and input guys.

Ok guys! Here is the finished product. I think it turned out really good myself.
a2a7u7y7.jpg
asyhe4en.jpg
3yvyteva.jpg
ane2e4yt.jpg

looking nice bro!!

Looks a lot better than the body I painted on mine.:D
Wasn't sure if you knew about that diff riser supplement, but I guess you were way ahead of me. Now that I think about, when I was installing my center diff, I used the smaller plastic diff gear that came with the e-conversion kit. Which is why I didn't experience any clearance issues.
Sent from my XT907

Yeah due to the money invested and it being my first ground up kit build i read and followed instructions to the "T". The diff riser was the first piece i noticed being different from the manual pics. So it was a concern for me during the build up until that point. When i first installed it ther was not an issue but when i tightened the screws it was clearly locked down and not gonna spin. It was too late at night to break out a dremil so i grabbed my mini file set and went to filing on it where the gear was touching.

Got a few new upgrades to add to the build now. Installed two new Savox mg servos, a sc0251mg on steering and a sc0254mg on throttle/brake. Also new blue anodized 7075 front and rear braces and lastly a set of DE racing mud guards for the rear. Will post pics as soon as i actually get the braces and guards installed. Thinking of getting front and rear DE racing skids for the chassis as well.

Man that thing is beautiful i want to see some action!

Back