My 1st RC - HPI MT2 G3.0 RTR

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SydeWayz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm totally new to R/C and would like to ask some questions about hop up's that I can purchase along with my truck that will make it more durable. Please give me some recommendations on changes I should make immediately. I have slightly made a short list... I'm curious to hear your opinions on my plans. This truck will be a street/park basher.

Upper Deck
Super Chassis
Aluminum Wide Hex Hubs
Universal Dogbones
Heavy Duty Cup Joint (D Cut)
Titanium Turnbuckles
Aluminum Threaded Shocks

Sway Bars (this is a maybe because from what I have read they are only good for on-road and I would like the best of both worlds)

Aluminum Thin Wheel Nuts
Titanium TP. Binder Head Screws

Thanks in advance

I'm not a big fan of aluminum, but I would get the front knuckles in aluminum. The capture screws are just threaded into the plastic and rip right out on landings and bad hits. Otherwise you have a good list going and are the same things I want to do to my first gen MT2...

Mark

Don't forget tools and basics (some may have come with rig).
Fuel bottle,
4way wrench,
Needle nose pliers,
Small dykes,
Zip ties,
Extra pins,
After run oil,
Wd40,
Glue for tires,
Allen wrenches,

Just some that I've found usable.

@ MustangMan - I will add aluminum front knuckles to my list. While I am at it I will upgrade the rear knuckles just for extra measure. LOL, screws sound worthless yet the price is so small compared to other items on my list I may just purchase them anyway.

@ ChiefGeek - Yes, sir I will make sure to purchase all needed tools. I just printed the "Beginners RC Nitro Guide" vital thread. If, the parts you have listed are not on the list I will add them as well.

Thanks fellas

Does HPI make aluminum knuckles for MT2's or will I have to follow a 3rd party company like GPM, speaking of from what I can read they seem to make so-so quality parts. I am willing to pay a little extra as I skipping out on quality cost you even more in the end. Any recommendations?

I am planning to get mine from New ERA Models. They have the knuckles, along with a few other goodies...

Mark

@ MustangMan - I just checked New Era's website a look and I saw a few items that I may just have to place on the list.

Do most hop up parts for the MT-2 .18 SS go along with the G3.0 RTR as well?

Same chassis, just different engines (and not by much either)...

HTH...
Mark

the mt2 isnt the best begginer truck its kinda breakable. i had a mt2 for short bit (its on ebay right now) had a os .18cvr and it had way to much power

parts to get that are a must
1 heavy duty gears (thats $60 right there)
2 cvd
i would scrap the rest of the hop ups you listed exept maybe front casterblock and hub carrier

Thanks for the advice. I've gotten the impression from reading other post.I will keep the truck on my list because I wanted on/off road fun, then again they don't seem like they can handle grass very well.

What are your opinions on
HPI Savage X SS (I like this one most because it's a KIT)

much better choice than the mt2. my friend has a savage .21 with a 4.6 and its kinda lacking power. personally i would get a rolling chassis and then a new engine like a lrp .30

a tmaxx would also be good choice

if you plan on buying new it would prob be worthwhile to join tower hobbies super saver club. like right now you get 50 off 300 and free shipping over 150 or so

Savages are awesome, and one of the most durable your going to come across. I have a X with an AE Pro 28 motor in it and its a blast. Some people have told me that this engine is a turd in for this use, but it'll stand right up when I gun it. (wheelie bars are very useful). Can't comment on the 4.6 as I don't have one, but this is the first negative I've heard of it.

The MT2 doesn't like tall grass. Not enough power for it. But short grass, ashphalt, gravel, dirt, etc. it is a blast.

I have a Savage S-25 with the 4.1, and when broken in and tuned it'll pull wheelies too. I don't think the 4.6 is too bad, though I've heard numerous stories of the 5.9 being an issue.

The Savage is a tough truck, no doubt, and I love mine. But they are big and heavy and for a beginner you need patience and a lot of room.

The MT2 is much lighter and easier on its feet (tires). As much as I love the Savage, you might consider a buggy or short course truck too. Then again, it depends upon what you're going to do with it.

Maybe buy a used MT2, add a few critical hop ups and you won't be in the hobby for a whole lot of money. Later, you can buy a Savage/T-Maxx/Revo, etc. for the big basher truck.

HTH...
Mark

I got a ae GT2 and similar losi last night and holy cow there is nothing to them compared to the savage. So very good point in the savage complexity. I did cut my teeth on a savage, and while they are complicated, if your didicated its no biggie, with that said however, something less complexe would be easier for starting out.