My .15 CV engine is F***ed up, where can I get another engine for cheap?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhatman

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, my engine right now is pissing me off so much that I have been wanting to sell my RC10GT several times because of it. My engine has lost compression, the head heat sink screws are stripped so I can not go out for a repinch, and just the other day...when the guy at the lhs returned my car to me. My car would not start, so I did the usual glow plug check to see if it still works. I then realized that the guy had tightened the glow plug in like WOW! WAY to tight. So now the engines glow plug holder wont even hold the glow plug in, because it is stripped. Now there is like no compression, becuase now, if I pull the pullstart without the igniter on, the glow plug will usually just pop right off. If I do put in the igniter, then sometimes the glow plug will stick into the igniter, and come out red hot. I am either going to go to electric with my stadium truck bashing, or I will buy a NEW cheap engine. I want to find a place that sells NEW engines cheap. I want a New engine so that I dont have to deal with anymore of this Bulls**t anymore. Does anyone know where I can find a Brand new engine for my RC10GT that is preferably .15 for about $50-60? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

even if you could find a brand new engine for 50-60 dollars what kind of quality do you think you would get? None, you would still have problems because to sell a new engine that cheap they would have to be a pos. But for around 90-100 you can get a brand new OS cvrx 15 and have a great mill.

I can not afford this... Does anyone want to buy my rc10gt? I can not pay for a new engine. I just want to go back to electric as soon as possible so I can drive a car again.

Clean it up real good, take some good pics and post an ad in the for sale forum and try and trade it as a roller for an electric rc. Or do a few lawn jobs, or anything to earn a few bucks and buy the OS. If taken care of it will last you a long time and give you great performance. Anyway you look at it RC is not a cheap hobby. There have been many times over the years I had to wait a few weeks to fix a ride due to funds. But be patient, take the time it is down to take it apart, look it over for any loose or stripped screws, and save a few bucks in the mean time and then get a mill for it. With the lower costs of the OS mills these days buying a used mill is a crapshoot I don't think you would want to take.

my dad is so pissed, and so am I that the lhs would sell me a rc10gt with over 10 broken things (that I had to replace) for $170, without servo's or a radio..that he is going up there right now to arugue and try to get them to fix it. I got taken advantage of becuase I am young and a newbie. My dad is so pissed off that he said he is going to file a bussiness report or something on how they could rip me off this bad.

Welcome to rc...

Sorry to hear it man.

What kind of OS 15 cv is it? I have a dead OS 15 cv-r(x) in a baggie that you can have if you pay shipping. That would get you a new head that isn't stripped and crankcase that I could try and take the head off of.

It's just a carcass engine though. No pull start, no carb and the piston/sleeve is dead and not repairable (I tried porting it... I shouldn't have).

It's this engine: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBHL2&P=7

You can still get the head off of yours. You just have to drill the heads off the head bolts, then carefully remove the stumps that are left sticking up. I've done it a few times without damaging anything.

After running nitro, I don't think I could ever run electric. I need the sound, smell and feel of a engine. A motor just doesn't cut it... at least for me.

osmg2032.jpg

that is the engine that I have. Yea, I do like that sound of nitro...and especially that smell.... How much would you charge for shipping on that motor? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

I would personally go with the OS .18 cvrx. Awesome engine for the money.

redhatman said:
osmg2032.jpg

that is the engine that I have. Yea, I do like that sound of nitro...and especially that smell.... How much would you charge for shipping on that motor? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

That's a different one than mine. I doubt the parts are innerchangable.

That's the cv, mine's the cv-r. The cv-r is a longer lasting more durable engine, but has a little milder power output.

will you still give it to me so i can look?

Sure. I don't care. $5 for shipping and it's yours.

Here's some pics of what it looks like now:
2005-0604-os15cvrExhaust01.jpg

2005-0604-os15cvrExhaust02.jpg

2005-0604-os15cvrTop.jpg

Last edited:
If the parts are innerchangeable, like the piston/con-rod, the piston only has about 2 gallons on it with about 10oz ran after I tried to mess with the sleeve with a dremel... I was an idiot. Well, I might still be and idiot, but I won't be messing with engine internals anymore.

well, my dad went to the hobby store and he argue with them... he was telling them that if they think the car is so good then how much would they buy it from me from? EXACTLY! they wouldnt. They are going to look at the engine one more time and hopefully put a new engine in. Of course that means that I will have to break in the engine, but at least it will work. I will still think about buying that engine from you, becuase I would like to know what the inside of an engine looks like and all. Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

Not to be a dink but how many threads are you going to have about this? You have started like 4 different threads about this, and have also stole like 3 other threads about this. Yeah your lhs sucks, yeah your rc10gt has probs (Probably not going to help you sell it in here). I think we got that with the 1st 2 threads. Check out the For sale thread. Theres a CV in there for like $50.

lol 4u2nv, yea.. I realized that. I'm sorry, I'm just dissapointed/anxious to drive a gas car for the very first time. I have had my car for over 4 weeks and havent drove it yet. That is why. I am sorry and I will try to stop. Thanks for letting me know though.
-Pat (redhatman)

Its no big deal, and I understand your anxiousness. I got a rs4 I'm in the same boat with. Youll get more respnce and stuff though if ya just keep it in one thread. Ya should get that mill from Ratzo. Thats a good deal and will work perfect for ya. Plus youd have some spare parts with the mill ya got now for it.

I am not going to buy a used engine ever again. well, my dad went to the hobby store and he argue with them... he was telling them that if they think the car is so good then how much would they buy it from me from? EXACTLY! they wouldnt. They are going to look at the engine one more time and hopefully put a new engine in. Of course that means that I will have to break in the engine, but at least it will work and I will have a chance to start all over..

I'm selling one with a brand new piston, sleeve, and rod. It's the OS .15cv with the same head as OLDS in the pic.
Just my head looks almost new. It's not a pull start though. You need a bump box.
I was asking $65 shipped.
You should have looked in the for sale section.
I still have it. Needs to be broken in again.

well, my dad went to the hobby store and he argue with them... he was telling them that if they think the car is so good then how much would they buy it from me from? EXACTLY! they wouldnt. They are going to look at the engine one more time and hopefully put a new engine in. Of course that means that I will have to break in the engine, but at least it will work and I will have a chance to start all over..

Ratzo is a very respected seller and person here on the site, and you can take it to the bank that its in the condition he states it in to be. Hes a good guy. Thats the route Id go. Obviously your LHS sucks, and shouldnt be working on Rc's, so Id just stay away from there. And be sure to let them know your unhappy and will be buying your parts, fuel and other stuff elsewhere. LHS usually will bend over backwards to keep a customer (Or at least they should) with the competition on the internet companies.

Back