mutant cooling head

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyguy80

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ha yall new to the place and new to rc cars just so you know what i got just picked up a used sportmaxx about a week ago for an awsome price cool right ya well second day i had it was playing with it and roled it in some rocks and cracked the head replaced it with a mutant cooling head because she ran just a hair hot well now to start it i have to ground the plug to the head with a screw driver i was wondering if that was normal if i dont the plug lite on the electric start will not come on and here is another one for you like i said bought mine used well my room mate had a tmaxx last summer and i clocked doing like 55 mph with my motorcycle like it stayed right beside me well my sport is a lot quicker than his maxx like I'm looking at speeds of some where around 65 to 70 and i only have first gear dont know what the stock parts are or if anything has be replace but if so what do you think could make that much of a difference in speed havent got the motorcycle out to run beside it yet just guessing on the speed but it is alot faster than his it outruns his savage 25 to

thank you all

Glad that you were not afraid to Bash you Maxx on the first day! Definitely something is wrong if you have to be grounding your glow plug before starting. Pacing the Maxx at 55 is quite an achievement for a SportMaxx, perhaps the prior owner re-geared it with a different ratio on the gears and some other mods. Getting a SportMaxx up to 65-70 MPH however, I don't think is possible unless it is on the passenger seat in you car. I could be wrong as, I'm occasionally.

Welcome to Nitro RC and just a friendly tip when you write try to make sentences and not run-ons so we all can read your postings quicker/easier.:clap:

I'm not saying that it will do 70 but i am saying it is significantly faster than my roommates. thats the one i paced at 55 over the summer on a motorcycle. anyway if anyone has an idea where to start looking for the ground problem please throw your 2 cents in.
thank you

SUp dude, Welcome to RCNT.

Just to clear up any possible confusion.....so how fast does your Maxx go? 55MPH is a CROWING achievemnt for the maxx. Getting the Maxx to 70mph even in a sportmaxx is a pipe dream if anything with even the highest gearing and only a 2-speed tranny. 70MPH might be possible in a SportMaxx with a custom 3-4 speed tranny assuming you also take off a chitload of weight. The biggest factors for increasing top end speed are higher higher gearing in general (just like a car...you can have the a Ferrari but it's not gonna do 140 in third..lol) and higher tranny gearing.

You say you paced a Maxx @ 55MPH on a motorcycle. I'm not trying to disscredit you in any way but I find that hard to believe. Are you sure the speedo on the motorcycle was calibrated correctly??

If you know somone that has a Maxx that can top out @ 70MPh+, I'll pay for them to come race me here. First class plus 4* hotel.....serious as a heartattack bro as that would be the fastest Maxx know to man.

As for your cooling head, I have personal experience with that head and it works great compared to the stock head. The problem with many heads is their high profile which increase the chance of bending the head or completely shearing it off like you've experienced already.

Peace

The EZ start has a ground wire that runs to the engine mount. Check to make sure it is not damaged or missing. This may be where your problem lies.

Originally posted by robmob
The EZ start has a ground wire that runs to the engine mount. Check to make sure it is not damaged or missing. This may be where your problem lies.

Good call Robmob. It should be a yellow wire.

Peace

ya the motorcycle was only a week old so the speedo is correct. as for the sport maxx I'm just saying its seems a lot faster. there is about a good couple inches of snow here and my street is solid ice or i would get the bike out and pace it.

the yellow wire is connected and apears to be in good shape. did pull the motor and make sure there wasn't any corrosion at the connection and it apears to be in good shape to.

Originally posted by chevyguy80
ya the motorcycle was only a week old so the speedo is correct. as for the sport maxx I'm just saying its seems a lot faster. there is about a good couple inches of snow here and my street is solid ice or i would get the bike out and pace it.

the yellow wire is connected and apears to be in good shape. did pull the motor and make sure there wasn't any corrosion at the connection and it apears to be in good shape to.

Sup man, NO disrepect whatsover but what are you saying exactly?? It "seems" allot faster or it is? I know national T-maxx race winners and their 2x4 and 4x4 race setups can't top out @ 55 MPH much less 65-70. I'm definitely not calling you a liar but your grammar and jubbled sentences has me a little off. If your Sportmaxx can do 55 then you probably have one of the fastest on the planet and I'd love to know how the previous owner has it setup. What kind of engine is it running?? If you say the 2.5 I'm going to fall of my chair bro.

The thing that many new to the hobby don't seem to understand about "big bore conversion is they aren't a chitload faster on the top end. Even if you gear the maxx for pure top end reaching 55+ MPH is almost impossible for the shear weight of the maxx and the lack of a third or fourth gear in the tranny. A big bore will have allot more torque in general and it will accelerate to top speed much faster but I find it hard to beleive that any T-maxx will do 55+ MPH regardless of Engine power with the stock 2-speed tranny.

Peace

as far as i know it is the 2.5 at least thats what i bought the head for. as for your disbelieve i understand my roommate dosnt get it either. and while were talking about not getting it the local hobby shop guy can't believe it ether. but it pulls away from the t-maxx and blows the savage 25 out of the water. wish i could tell you more about whats been done to it. did talk to the original owner today and he said he sent the motor out to get worked on if i can find out more i will
later

as far as i know it is the 2.5 at least thats what i bought the head for. as for your disbelieve i understand my roommate dosnt get it either. and while were talking about not getting it the local hobby shop guy can't believe it ether. but it pulls away from the t-maxx and blows the savage 25 out of the water. wish i could tell you more about whats been done to it. did talk to the original owner today and he said he sent the motor out to get worked on if i can find out more i will
later

Sup man,

Ok, so let's assume you have the best Mod'd 2.5 engine on the planet running in a sportmaxx. Regardless of how the gearing may or may not be tweaked, it's still almost impossible to believe that a SportMaxx does 55mph...I wouldn't say it defies modern science...lol but none the less it's a VERY BOLD claim. Are you sure your not talking about a Traxxas Nitro rustler? Futher, your claims of your truck reaching what you precieve as 65-70mph cause's serious reservations toward your claims in general. I'm not calling you a liar but preception of speed and actual speed and two completely differnt things. I'm sure the Sportmaxx "pulls" ahed of a regular 2.5 assuming it's a well mod'd engine. It's also easy to believe that you smoke a much heavier Savage .25 but all the claims of top speed are very hard to swallow.

Just my 2 cents. A video clip of your sportmaxx doing 55+mph radar verfied would be more then enough for me to shove my size 13 foot far down my mouth...lol. If you have access to a radar gun through an LEO or other you'd be able to really tell what the top speed of that thing is.

Peace

Ok listen I'm not trying to argue. Wondering my speedo on the bike may be off sorry. Dont know the answer to that one but i was just pondering if it is normal for them to be that much faster. You know i figured on something that would barely pull away not just walk away on it either way its quick as poop and I'm very impressed with it. Sorry my speeds may be wrong just going by what the speedo said.
later

Ok listen I'm not trying to argue. Wondering my speedo on the bike may be off sorry. Dont know the answer to that one but i was just pondering if it is normal for them to be that much faster. You know i figured on something that would barely pull away not just walk away on it either way its quick as poop and I'm very impressed with it. Sorry my speeds may be wrong just going by what the speedo said.
later

Hey man,

I'm not looking to argue with you or make you feel like an ass....that's not my bag bro...lol. I'm VERY curious if anything as I'm in the process of bulding a somewhat custom and 100% hardcore Maxx drag racer. I've NEVER heard anyone on the RC planet every make a claim of anywhere near 70mph.

Their's a good posibility that your speedo on your bike is way off. The best way to tell the real top end of that Maxx is with a properly calibrated and tested radar gun. If you did so that would be awesome man. Either way I wouldn't sell it as it make have some mad scientist mods on it that many in the Maxx community would be very interested in.

Have a nice night.

Peace

Ok ill see if i can find a nice cop in my area. Ya like that would happen nice cop
later
Dont want to seem like a story teller it seem really fast thats why i asked the question

Ha just got back from the highway department. Went to play in the sand piles up there and there happened to be a cop there. He came out when he heard our trucks running around and started talking to us. After a few minutes i asked him to clock my truck. Offical result is 58 mph so i am sorry it seemed a little faster. I will post a pic of the radar gun soon as i find my cord to my camera. Untill then I am still having that ground problem. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thank you all

Ha just got back from the highway department. Went to play in the sand piles up there and there happened to be a cop there. He came out when he heard our trucks running around and started talking to us. After a few minutes i asked him to clock my truck. Offical result is 58 mph so i am sorry it seemed a little faster. I will post a pic of the radar gun soon as i find my cord to my camera. Untill then I am still having that ground problem. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thank you all

If your not totally full of chit then you've got my attention and probably that of ever Maxx owner here....lol.

Will be looking forward to pics as they do speak louder then words.

Peace

What does the little black dot on the envolope mean

There has to be a short in the wiring somewhere. Re-check all the wires to the EZ start motor, jack and plug. Check inside the EZ start as well. If it all checks out, I am stumped. Unless your EZ start is no good.

OK gentlemen,
Here are the facts......

A T-Maxx with:

Stock 2.5
72 tooth spurr
20 tooth bell
30,000 rpm

Will top out at 31.245 MPH

68 /24 would get you 39.7 MPH

Calculations based on Gear and speed calculator thanks to MaxxSkunkworks.

-Ed

When you placed the glo plug in the new Mutant head, did you include the copper washer that goes with it? If not, that is most likely where your problem is. Give it a look see and let us know.

As for the speed of your Maxx, that is impressive. As Eddy pointed out, seems to be impossible...but let us know what the gearing the beast has, the engine that you are using, and the weight of the truck. Why? Perhaps you have an actual accomplishment on your hands and we'd like to be able to make our scientific minds comprehend what your potential pictures may show us...a SportMaxx...or is this the T-Maxx doing 55+mph.

Sup guys,

He says it has a mod'd 2.5 SportMaxx. I'm finding this really hard to swallow but I'm not calling him a liar either. If his truck is this mean then I wanna know how...eh. I also find it very convinient that he went out tonight and found a cop to verify his speed but agian could be possible.

Peace