Mugen MRX4-R...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoraTehExploda

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay, before I go any further, TODAY is 1st DAY EVER in my life that I have EVER picked up a RC(sorry if that was ass backwards lol). Anywho, my 1st car purchase was a 1/8th scale Mugen MRX4-R and I am LOVING IT! I built the car, built the start box, basically everything is ready. I got the Sirio CL7R STi(.21 Nitro Motor) along with the Sirio Exhaust that goes with it. Purchased a tool box, about 120$ worth of tools, a gallon of nitro 20% gas, batteries/chargers. Anywho, basically everything is ready to roll. I just had a few questions.. Okay, when I place the car on the starter box, I take the glow plug ignitor(is that what its called?), place it inside the motor, hold the front of the car(even though I have all 4 pegs mounted on the box to hold my car), push that down so the belt underneath spins my crank to start my engine. My 1st question is this:

1) Sometimes, the motor does not start and it locks so I have to use a screwdriver to unlock it. Is that bad for my car? The guy @ the hobby store just said that means its still new and being broken in.

2) Sometimes when I goto start it, it starts, but when I let it up, it cuts off. Is there like, so many seconds I have to keep the glow ignitor inside the engine before I can press up on my car for it to start without shutting off?

Okay, so for right now that covers it. Thanks!

Garrett

If you heat the engine block with a hair dryer or heat gun to about 200 degrees. You will not have the locking up problem. The heat will expand the sleeve and make it much easier to start. After you the mill gets a broken-in and a couple more tanks on it after that, you won't need to heat it anymore.

Ohhh the bigger version of my car (have the mtx4r)!! I have only seen pic's but I like what i've seen be sure to post some pics at some stage!
Robs right (as usual :) ) heat will help - my engine was painfully tight when I was breaking it in and had to turn it over past TDC with a hex wrench when it got stuck, loosen the plug (only a tiny bit) too it may help with the huge amounts of compression - tighten as soon as it starts.
Try blipping the throttle for the cutting off - once again my engine did the same but would stay 'alive' if I just tapped throttle (gently) every few seconds.

Indeed, so far its been BARELY broken in, I can't open her up to break her in correctly, I'm taking her to Tampa, FL tomorrow to have Steve do it @ the A Spec track -__-

If you heat the engine block with a hair dryer or heat gun to about 200 degrees. You will not have the locking up problem. The heat will expand the sleeve and make it much easier to start. After you the mill gets a broken-in and a couple more tanks on it after that, you won't need to heat it anymore.
Also loosen glow plug a little will relieve compression before starting.

Okay, before I go any further, TODAY is 1st DAY EVER in my life that I have EVER picked up a RC(sorry if that was ass backwards lol). Anywho, my 1st car purchase was a 1/8th scale Mugen MRX4-R and I am LOVING IT! I built the car, built the start box, basically everything is ready. I got the Sirio CL7R STi(.21 Nitro Motor) along with the Sirio Exhaust that goes with it. Purchased a tool box, about 120$ worth of tools, a gallon of nitro 20% gas, batteries/chargers. Anywho, basically everything is ready to roll. I just had a few questions.. Okay, when I place the car on the starter box, I take the glow plug ignitor(is that what its called?), place it inside the motor, hold the front of the car(even though I have all 4 pegs mounted on the box to hold my car), push that down so the belt underneath spins my crank to start my engine. My 1st question is this:

1) Sometimes, the motor does not start and it locks so I have to use a screwdriver to unlock it. Is that bad for my car? The guy @ the hobby store just said that means its still new and being broken in.

2) Sometimes when I goto start it, it starts, but when I let it up, it cuts off. Is there like, so many seconds I have to keep the glow ignitor inside the engine before I can press up on my car for it to start without shutting off?

Okay, so for right now that covers it. Thanks!

Garrett
Hows your Mugen mrx4?
fludded try new or old plug or and next start loosen the plug where you will see bubbles that helps with compression with new motors

Hows your Mugen mrx4?
fludded try new or old plug or and next start loosen the plug where you will see bubbles that helps with compression with new motors
Please notice the date of posted threads before replying, especially ones posted over a decade ago.