Motor-saver filter question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersavage

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I finally got the Savage out for it's "maiden voyage" after its winter rebuild. I only got about 10 minutes of run time in +/- 45 degree weather before my igniter went dead, but came out of it with a couple questions. I am now wondering if anyone with a motor-saver air filter could tell me roughly how rich their carb settings are. Or where they are compared to the stock filter. I never came close to having the low speed needle set, and I thought I was getting close on the high speed, but the rpm's wanted to "hang" when the throttle was released. Is this an indication of the hsn set too lean, or would it be the lsn? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks from the wonderful Pacific Northwest.

You can't really use someone else's needle settings even if they have the same air filter as you.

You'll know you're too lean on the HSN when the sound of the engine changes to a flatter tone and starts to bog. It's hard to explain. You'll know it's too rich when you hear it "gurgle" and blows a bunch of smoke.

The LSN and the idle set screw work together to control the idle and the performace characteristics when you give it gas. You can't adjust one without effecting the other. What makes matters worse is manufactures will send their engines out with 1.5 and 2mm idle gaps. Because most people donno what they are doing with the idle gap, they leave it alone. On my big bock engines I'll set my idle gap to 1mm before I fire it up. Then I'll adjust my idle around that setting via the LSN. It gets me in the ball park. A place to start.

Once you have your LSN set, you don't have to play with it as much as your HSN. If you make major changes to your HSN, you may have to come back and refine the LSN setting, but not much.

I hope some of this info has been helpful. When you're first learning to adjust your needles, it can't be frustrating. Best of luck to you.

Thanks bigfreak...I'm not so much looking for exact needle settings, but more of a comparison to stock settings with a stock filter. I know with this motor-saver, I have a ton more air and will need more fuel to balance things out, but It seems like I was running at least a full turn richer if not one and a half. It almost seemed too much. We're in the mid 50's and sunny today, so maybe I'll go try again. Thanks

When I installed my motor saver, I had to adjust my HSN about 1/8 turn richer. IMHO it did not give a noticeable increase in power, but I feel good having something better than the stock filter for protection from dust and dirt. I think this filters biggest benefit is increased engine longevity.

Last edited:
Thats was my main concern too. The stock filter definetly left something to desire. After smoking a couple dirt bike engines over the years due to various filtration problems, I'm almost a little anal about the subject. So I did get it running half decent this afternoon...I think the warmer weather made it a little easier, but damn I'm looking forward to spring. Thanks Guys

Back