Motor Saver filter maintenance question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthRacer

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I used to use shock oil that came with my RTR kits to oil my filter elements before I bought a Motor Saver. I want to oil the inner foam element and I wanted to see if anyone thought if it would be bad if I used the spray oil that is used on K&N air filters?

Umm I use the Associated oil and it works perfect for me. THe spray on I am not too sure if that is made for a foam element.

You sholdnt use it.In my opinion if you buy a good airfilter use the right oil.

Try Yamaha foam filter oil. Sticky as hell and is $7 for 16oz.

How do you clean the filter anyways...oil does not mix with water and I took mine out for a cleaning and relube and it just got really messy.

If the filter is too saturated and drips into carb, will it mess things up?

Darth, I use my after run oil on the filter. I try to use something that's oily enough to trap the dirt, but light enough not to impede airflow. ARO seems to work well.

powert- to clean the filter element, put it in a ziploc bag and dump a couple tablespoons of nitro fuel in it. The nitro will break down the oil and start to work the dirt out. Then go for the warm soapy water. Give a good rinse and let it dry...

To clean the filter regular water and dish soap work the best.
I wouldn't recommend a spray oil for your filter. Just get RC air filter oil. Its thick and designed just for air filters. I have been using the same $3.99 bottle for several years.

To put the oil on I place the filter (s) in a zip lock bag, squeeze some juice on it and close the bag. I work the oil in by squeezing and kneading the filter from the outside of the bag. This distributes the oil evenly throughout the filter. I keep several filters in the bag and just grab one when needed. When its time for cleanup I do several at a time and its over till I run out.

There is no substitute Using the proper products, None! You spent how much on your Mill? Dont cheat yourself over $3.99 for the proper oil.

Last edited:
Alright, i'll check my LHS for filter oil!!

He should have the AE and Blue Motorsaver oil in stock. I think I seen it yesterday.

Back