Motor Breakin and heat cycles.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safesinger

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have the Exceed Infinity 1:10 Nitro with the .18 motor.
I did almost 3 tanks just idling. Then I went out and did figure 8's no faster than half throttle for about 3 more tanks the motor never got anywhere near 200f.
Then on 4th tank of figure 8's I started doing open throttle for small bursts for 2 more tanks and the warmest it got was 210f in center at glo plug .
After that I did another tank of gas figure 8 this time I opened the throttle up for a bit longer and it still only hit 215f in center where glow plug is outside temp never exceeded 130-150f.
Did I possibly ruin my motor? Sorry I am new to this so I am not sure if I am doing poop right.

210 is a bit high, especially during break-in. Keep the temps under 200 for a few more easy running tanks, keep full throttle pulls to a minimum until you have around 8 tanks total of driving around ran, I also do 3 tanks at idle, first tank just barely enough throttle to keep it running, second tank I do with a fast idle, and third tank I make sure the temp gets up to 180 or so. Your doing good just what I would say. I start to run more aggressively after 8- 10 tanks and after a full tank of normal driving keep the temp under 230, I personally like to see 205-210 at the head.

Each to their own I guess.
I was always under the impression you should break in a engine, at the running temp, which just over 200F.
Have done this on a few engines, they run mint, and have so much compression even after over 2 gallons of fuel.
I even used a aluminium wrap or heat gun to keep the engine at around 200.
To me 210 is perfect

Each to their own I guess.
I was always under the impression you should break in a engine, at the running temp, which just over 200F.
Have done this on a few engines, they run mint, and have so much compression even after over 2 gallons of fuel.
I even used a aluminium wrap or heat gun to keep the engine at around 200.
To me 210 is perfect
I must say I have had a few vx .18s and only recall reading temps of 230 with a leaner tune when doing top speed runs, but the fuel I use is higher nitro percentage and is known to reduce running temps while still being a safe rich tune vs many other fuels

Each engine can be very temperamental. I find traxxas engines just run hot, in the 270s to be honest, and no matter how rich, temps will not come down. So, I run them at those temps. they run great.
Actually, what I also figured out is that once properly broken in (gallon or more), temps on Traxxas come down a lot.

VX18 I have to say its the same as yours, runs very cool and easy to tune, responds to leaning/temp increase very well.

I found a gallon of Nitro on Amazon called

Torco RC Fuel 20% Nitro for Trucks & Cars.​

It has like 14% oil in the mix which I heard works great with the Exceed motors. They say it works great for all motors keeps them cool and runs motor very well.​

It has great reviews of course there are a few negative ones but for the most part it is well rated.
And I like that it's Pink/Red in color easier to see it go through the gas line. I haven't used it yet I am just assuming it will be.​

Just listen to me, and get 30.

Tune accordingly and watch your temps for a tank or 2, You will never go with any other fuel once you have experienced torco 30, I put my word as a man on it

Just listen to me, and get 30.

Tune accordingly and watch your temps for a tank or 2, You will never go with any other fuel once you have experienced torco 30, I put my word as a man on it
I never used torco, but I always find myself getting 30 or 33% over 20.

I NEVER let it idle through tanks. I have used the heat cycle method for many years, and my original Savage ss still runs like a beast, still with the original engine, my og rs4 3 rtr engine lasted through many gallons. 210 is perfect, get it up to temp, but only run it at that temp for 2-3 minutes doing large figure eights (on pavement). Easy on the throttle, easy off, no blipping the throttle. Then put the piston a bdc, let it completely cool back down to ambient temperature and do this for 10 cycles. Then I'll run a few tanks without really beating on it, and start fine tuning, my engines have always run amazing, and lasted a long time.

Why not just run the motor slightly rich for no less than 5 minutes twice. ABC ENGINES do not require lengthy break in periods. Ringed engines require lengthy break ins, but you don't have a ringed engine.

Back