Motherboard purchasing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBlazer

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am building a new gaming PC for home. I was really looking a the new ASUS P4C800 Deluxe. I can run up to 3.2 ghz and has a FSB of 800mhz. It has dual channel DDR slots that let you double the memory bandwidth to almost 6.5 gig/s. It has an IDE RAID controller built in and has the latest greatest AGP8X slot.

My other thought is RAMBUS. I want to get a motherboard with this option just for the fact that you can run 1200mhz ram with a 4.8GB of bandwidth. The problem here is the company making Rambus is still pushing the RAM while major manufacturers are steering away from it. THe new RDRAM or Rambus is PC 1200 where I can only find a board to recognize the PC1066 RDAM and it only has a 533 FSP where I hear they are getting them to 1 gig. Woah is me. I was thinking this board if I go the rambus route AX4T-533 Pro it is an AOpen board. MAybey I should wait a few months until the industry works the DDR/Rambus battle out. What do you guys thing? Should I just go with the flow and get the ASUS? Any thoughts experience are greatly welcome.

I personally think the DDR is gonna win the battle. It just seems like there are more options if you are looking to go the DDR route.

I am a huge AMD fan. I just built a system using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard with a gig of Corsair PC3200 LL ram and 2.0 GHz XP proc. It has been rock solid from day one. :)

you can,t go wrong with Asus motherboard & DDR ram. I have built several systems for my friends & myself. They are very reliable and have a great warranty.

I to am a AMD fan, but the P4 is just way faster period right now.

Yes I have worked with at least 100 ASUS boards in my time and know the quality is there. My question is which route to go as with the new chipsets and ram types there are more chioces than now than ever.

I've read that RAMBUS works like a network protocol. There is a lot of over head with rambus. It does, however, deliver -- the numbers don't lie.

It's been ages since I've played the mobo game, but the ASUS P4C800 Deluxe sounds pretty phat with the dual channel DDR slots.

Don't for get to pick up an ATI 9800 Pro! ..... :bling:

That is a sweet card but Nvidia has an answer coming very soon.

Yeah if money is no option make sure you get the 9800 Pro. I bought the 9700 Pro when it came out and all I can say is wow. I am sure its big brother is just as impressive.

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
That is a sweet card but Nvidia has an answer coming very soon.

Do you know something that no one else knows? A buddy of mine picked up the current high end GeForce card and it seemed to do the job. The two biggest things I didn't like were the noise from the fan and the fact that it took two case spots.

:whistle: I tell more when I have actual info rather than speculation. If you have been following the story thus far Nvidia and ATI have be locked into battle for years now. They have even taken the war to the consoles (Nvidia chip in the Xbox, and ATI in the Gamecube) and Nvidia was winning the war for more than 2 years with the Geforce 3 and 4 the Ti models of course. Ati had a really great card but not until the Radeon 9800 did they pass up the specs of the Geforce. Well Nvidia isn't taking this lying down for what I hear/read and totally new not revamped architecture is being designed for their new chipset to be release end of this year begining of next. Only time will tell.

it's kind of weird to think that just a year ago 1.6 ghz + geforce 3 ti500 was an ok computer. then again, we were playing quake 3. when all you need is 125fps, it's not hard to get there. doom 3 isn't out yet I'm assuming. i bet that will be a christmas release.

Doom 3 was slated to be released by Christmas of 03 but reports are starting to trickle in that it won't be released until 2nd quarter of 04. Of course when people ask Carmack he say it will be released when it is finished. Either way I can't wait......:drool:

i had a copy of the unofficial alpha release that people saw at e3. one word: scary

I've had 3 different ABIT boards over the last 6 or so years & have had no real problems... Always had great reviews...

I'm not computer shopping right now so I'm not quite up on the latest and greatest.

I don't look for the absolute fastest but I do look at what's good for the money. AMD has it over Intel in that department.

It sounds like a bunch of us are big fans of Asus, AMD, and nVidia. I'm one of 'em.

This post being brought to you courtesy of an A7V333, 512mb DDR, Athlon XP2000+ and an nVidia GeForce3 TI200.

Originally posted by wdavidhicks
This post being brought to you courtesy of an A7V333, 512mb DDR, Athlon XP2000+ and an nVidia GeForce3 TI200.
LMAO
This post is being brought to you on an Intel 233 duel processor 1 gig of ram and 2, 9 gig SCSI HDs. This was a $5000.00 server 3 years ago. :bunny:

AMD has it over Intel?!?!?!?

You running the new and improved 800mhz front side bus?

www.hardocp.com should lend some insight :thumbup:

I know, they got cool new poop. But anytime I've ever shopped for processors I could always get more AMD processing power for my money than Intel.

yes more bang for your buck but they are leading in nothing else. Intel has surpassed. I am biased towards them as I used to be an employee and loved it. I worked both at the Rancho Cordova, and Folsom sites. I used to map dudes to printers and help them logon because they couldnt (these guys were chip designers) simple stuff I helped with I guess that goes to show you that you cannot be an expert on everything. I used to ride a 3 wheeled bike from building to building as all the employees did. They were cool, had a little orange flag on the back with a basket. I used to put PC's and laptops in them and get up on 2 wheels and see how far I could ride like that. Well until the security gaurds got called on me and I got the warning. I used to plow over speed bumps as fast as possible and sometimes crap would fly out of my basket. Ooh those were the good ol days, wish I could go back. I have too much gawd damn responsability at this job, the actually count on me and stuff...........

I'm not against Intel. The last couple years I've favored AMD. When it's time to shop again I'll be studying the Intels and AMDs both.

Hey Humboldt, I liked the way your post segued into a reverie of the past. I could actually see the wavy lines as the camera transititioned from the current Humboldt to the dreamy past of the former Humboldt, happily driving his three-wheeler.

So true - I'm an Intel die hard. It doesn't even phase me that I will spend more. I just flat out refuse to buy anything else.

Kinda like me with my Kyosho and RobH with his???

My upgrade a year ago was desperately needed. (P300 in an Asus P2B440BX.) It was a great machine. But a year ago, AMD was the way to go.

And the Kyosho buggy? I turned that over in my head a bunch of times before I decided to take my one-and-only Maxx and turn it into a BashMobile. "The Riddler has a most devious plot in mind... Quick, Robin! To the BashMobile!"

Biff

Powie

Socko