More Hex Wrenches . . . .

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Yeah I know, there are a 1,000 threads out there and it's like tabs vs spaces (for all the geeks) or for the rest of the world, region. If I ask 5 RC enthusiast I will get 6 opinions and so the list goes on.

Basic question
Do you use ball end wrenches as the go to daily tool or stick with a standard cut wrench and use the ball end for special occasions?

Don't use ball end hexes for tightening stuff down a lot, they can break and may strip out hexes, I have had both of those happen before.

I don't even have ball wrenches.

Don't use ball end hexes for tightening stuff down a lot, they can break and may strip out hexes, I have had both of those happen before.
I try to hand tighten everything and only use the driver for running the screw near snug, not even snug. Plastic get's eaten up fast and aluminum strips almost as quick.

I was a bit leery of the ball end wrenches for that reason.

The problem I'm having is I finding a set of drivers with a nice handle. Most of the RC tools have some fancy aluminum anodized tube and then there is MIP with the resin cast handle from 1940.

Eklind, Wiha, Bondhus all seem to be good brands but you can't get a straight cut hex unless it's a "T" or an L. Oh wait Bondhus has some insulated ones that don't have 1.5 and are a tad expensive.

McMaster Carr has a set and other than Made in the USA I don't know much about them. I sent them an inquiry to the brand, but it's a holiday weekend and all. Previously, I bought a precision set from them and it is Wiha and I also suspect that MC can't sell garbage tools.
https://www.mcmaster.com/57585A61/

Thoughts?

Haus of Tools sells all the best brands. Wiha and Wera are my favs.

Ball drivers are handy when you can't get to a screw with a regular driver. That is the only time you should ever use them, and even then, only if they are a quality tool.

I have a set of ball drivers but rarely use them. I make sure there isn't any possible way of using the standard first before I use them. As mentioned above, they do strip out screws or break if not careful.

I have a set of ball drivers but rarely use them. I make sure there isn't any possible way of using the standard first before I use them. As mentioned above, they do strip out screws or break if not careful.
^^ Same here. ^^

I always use standard hex for initial break-away loosen or final tighten. Ball hexes only get used on an already loosen screw running it in or out.

I still find use for the old-school L-arm "Allen" wrenches and keep them at the bench. A full set of them in standard, metric and ball are quite affordable if on a budget.

Hope this helps. 'AC'

Ball driver are great for quick fixes on weird angles and some times getting stripped heads out if you side lean them. Besides that they only cause issues.

Personally I think they are a must have. Better than having to pull a whole front or rear end apart to tighten 1 screw. Have saved my ass a many of times at the track and with stripped screw heads.

The problem I'm having is I finding a set of drivers with a nice handle. Most of the RC tools have some fancy aluminum anodized tube and then there is MIP with the resin cast handle from 1940.
I love RC tool handles. They're light, grippy, compact, indestructible and don't attract dirt and grease. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I ordered some from McMaster Carr.
1646509470592.png

The 1.5 is Wiha and the 2-3mms are Wera. All for $33 shipped to my door. Great stuff.

It's funny because McMaster Carr has really good tools, and they don't advertise the name brand.

Just an FYI, you can get MIP's as 1/4" speed tip's as well. I have both in ball end and straight. I use straight most of the time and only use ball end when I have to. EDS also has a set. I picked up a set of their straight to use in my pit bag.

With 1/4" drive, you can use any typical 1/4 handle you want, or an e-driver which is what I use. If you do use an e-driver, get one with a clutch on it and be religious about using the clutch or you will strip a lot of screws/threads.

Back