Mod'd my SlimLine Aluminum Tank to Flip Top

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Don't laugh, remember, I prefer function over asthetics.

Anyway, for those of you, if any, that know of my busting of fuel tank history (currently up to 8 in 6 months), I've mod'd my aluminum tank to have a flip top. Since the SlimLine tank had a screw cap, it was slow and time consuming to refill. Also, when your fingers were numb it was just a pain to deal with. So, I went tank hunting and found the RcTrophy tank that looked like hell, but wasn't all to expensive. Posted a question about it and got a reply that the cap didn't line up correctly. So, I figured I'd just modify my current tank.

Without having an actual garage/shop let alone a welder, I had to use JB-Weld.

Here's the result of a few hours of grinding and JB-Welding. I used the neck and hinge off the most recently broken tank.

I retook and cleared up the pics of the fuel tank so they are easier to see.

T-Maxx-BodyOff-SlimLineModTank01.jpg

T-Maxx-BodyOff-SlimLineModTank02.jpg

T-Maxx-BodyOff-SlimLineModTankHinge.jpg

T-Maxx-BodyOff-SlimLineModTankOpen.jpg

And a few pics of my recently built steel skid plates:
T-Maxx-BodyOff-bottomnewskids-022104.jpg

T-Maxx-BodyOff-frontstraightdark-022104.jpg

Last edited:
i actually think that looks quite nice good thinkin olds. Now I'm just waitin for you to snap that neck off lol:hammer:

Nice work dude and I'd have to agree with Dom, How long tell your hardcore arse breaks the neck..hehe. Maybe you can be the first person on the forum to "blow out" an alluminum tank.

Would love to bash with you some time man as maybe 10% our bash group is as hardcore as you (and I @ times.).

Actually, i don't think i'll rip it off. The line between the roll bar, top of bumper on shock tower and the top of the left rear wheel put the tank about 1/2"-3/4" from impact with the ground.

If anything, I'll jar it off on a hard landing. But I used standard jb, the stuff that takes 24 hours to cure properly. I also sanded all surfaces to make sure it really bonds.

I'll take a pick if/when it breaks so you can all get a good chuckle.

Should have took some pics with it off the truck to get a better image of what I did. Oh well. I'm to lazy to take it off now.

Last edited:
I am not a Tmaxx fan at all honestly. Yes some folks do have nice rides out there that have them. I am honestly glad to see someone that uses functionality over pretty for once. This is not my method when it comes to every hop up but you can see some of it in my rides. Take my custom fuel tank strap for the header tank on my savage. Can you say radiator clamp?? Judging by the tires it still looks like he wishes he had a savage

I like the maxx, should have bought a savage. I've ran with a few savages with hop-ups and with all the upgrades I do have, I out jump, out handle and out lasted the two guys who were fiddling with their savages for a few hours as I was bashing all over. They packed it in and I drove around for a couple more hours.

I did like how the savage tires hooked up though. And at $25 a set, you can't beat them.

Back