MIP CVD's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
After I left the beach today, I went to fire up my Maxx again and after screaming up and down the street a bit I lost power to the rear wheels. Turns out I lost the little pin in the coupling, luckily I didn't lose the coupling or the setscrew.

So, I have two questions.

1. Does MIP replace these little pins free of charge? I got the shafts like 2 weeks ago so there aren't any warranty issues. I know MIP is an awesome company and so far their service is stellar. Unfortunately they're closed on Friday.

2. Can I use a little nail or something as a temporary replacement? My dad has a bunch of little galvanized steel nails the exact same size as the pin.

You might also try a small piece of a hex/allen wrench it still isn't as hard as the stock pin but its stronger then a nail good luck..Oh and you will probly have to buy a CVD rebuild kit...

OK, thanks. I'll try that today.

I doubt they would replace it. That would be a consumer error for not using thread lock.

yeah my lhs suggested that i use muic wire and it is like 68 cents for 2 feet and you just need a hecka good set of dikes

I doubt they would replace it. That would be a consumer error for not using thread lock.

I used blue loctite, that's why I'm puzzled as to why it came out.

What is MUIC wire?

Did you set the Set screw where the flat spot on the pin is against? The bule loctite needs to cure. I say at least a few hours should be sufficient.

In this case there was no flat spot. If I get new pins I'll cut one in with a Dremel.

So this wire stuff... From what's said about being hard to cut I'm assuming it's hardened enough to work as a replacement?

I'm surprised the LHS didn't have it. Try an art supply store or hardware store. It comes in many sizes. Bring the TVP with you for an exact fit, or get a caliper reading on the pins you have and check labels on the music wire.
Music wire is the solid wire inside the wound strings in pianos. VERY strong stuff.

MIP CVD's never had a flat spot on the pins (from the first generations to current). A flat spot on the pin would weaken it enough to cause it to split into two pieces and eject under RPM, especially if over-tightened.

There is a simple little trick to keep the pins from ejecting. Simply put a little heat shrink tubing over the "bell bottom". Cut it so it stays in place yet allows full articulation.

We were going to go to the piano store when I tried calling my LHS. Turns out they had some in stock and I bought 3 feet for a dollar. That's gonna last me forever :D I also cut flat spots and made sure to use extra loctite.

I'm not sure it's going to be hard enough to do what you want. Let us know how it works out though.

Most of the wire stuff that my LHS has is soft enough to be cut with dikes relatively easily. Those little CVD pins are hard. So much so that they may actually dent a pair of dikes if you try to cut one.

I pick up little 'pins' from my hardware store. They have an assortment of sizes. That's if I don't feel like waiting for the right ones to ship... They are normally in the small screw/nut section and are just listed has "hardened pins". They have worked well for me in the past. Usually whatever I find is too long and I have to cut the end off with a dremel. And add a flat spot.

That wire seemed really tough. It wasn't bending even when I tried. I'll run it and see how it goes.

Now that I think about it though I probably should have put the stock MIP one that I still have on the rear CVD... Oh well, too late now :D

Seriously the shrink tubing will cure losing the pin. I lost pin when I first got them. After that I put heat shrink tubing .75" on and havent had a problem since. It has been well over a year.

I couldn't find any heatshrink tubing big enough, except for this 20 dollar stuff at Lowe's (I'm not paying 20 bucks for 6 inches of tubing no matter how good it is).

your LHS should have some, if not try like circuit city or RadioShack. Its cheap and shouldnt cost more than a couple of bucks for several pieces in red and black

Try Radio Shack, or your local hardware store. I got mine in a variety pack; 8 sizes for about $3.

I'll do that. I got an eye appointment this week and Radio Shack is right next to the eye place.

Back