Mini crawler modular course build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
Decided to do a modular mini crawler course- don't have the room to do one of those epic courses seen online... DRAT!
I used some 3/8" ply for the base and 1" foam insulation for the layers, all foam glued together. $18 in so far.
First module is 1' x 2' with an elevation of 9". There are three approaches to the top- a 35, 45 and a 55 degree one. At the top will be posts for a bridge to the next module. The bottom uncut layer will have some whoop-de-doos carved in.
After the glue sets up I'll start fine carving and testing before I cover it with plaster cloth and texturing.
Any tricks or suggestions are greatly appreciated, this is my first attempt at doing one.
PXL_20240223_195212877.jpg
PXL_20240223_195220171.jpg
PXL_20240223_195242410.jpg
PXL_20240223_195248131.jpg

I have been meaning to do this for a while, but my work space in the garage keeps getting taken over. Just got Xmas off the garage floor, now need to find the surface of my workbench. I have been collecting all kinds of styrofoam packaging for a while. This might get me off my butt and back to it, thanks for the inspiration, yours is off to a great start. :thumbs-up:

I've been wanting to build a course out in the back yard but my health is slowing me down a bit.
I have a course built down in my shop but I don't use it much. There is boxes of stuff piled up on it.

now need to find the surface of my workbench
:D I haven't seen the top of my workbench in a looong time- I can relate!
I watched a few videos on kit courses, way overpriced and pretty limited.
Kit course
I'm thinking the next module will be made from 8" craft sticks
Craft sticks
I figure 100 sticks, a hot melt glue gun and a pot of coffee
Nervous Looney Tunes GIF

I've been wanting to build a course out in the back yard but my health is slowing me down a bit.
I've been slowly collecting rocks for the same reason. Ms. Bozo has OK'd a "rock garden" in the back yard (heh heh heh- little does she know...). My health issues also are why I'm moving more to mini crawlers. Less walking and you can sit down while running them.

Barry Bonds Hello GIF

Last edited:
I like how you chopped it up like that, beautiful paint on a beautiful rig!
Thanks!
It's got a stock AX24 frame. The Ford body fits nicely between the rock light bezels and the rock slider edges., but I had to cut most of the bottom front off to clear the servo.
You could probably modify the Ford body into Doomsday. That would be a wild machine!

Did some carving with a Dremel using a mini wire wheel. Works really good for the fine touches, I'll do some more testing and then apply plaster cloth and plaster of paris. An old model railroader trick is to use heavy duty aluminium foil crumpled up then unfolded (keeping texture) as rock molds. I also have some Woodland Scenics rock molds I may use also. There are lots of instructionals on the tubes on how to do this.
Rock molds
PXL_20240225_192844363-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20240225_192855244.jpg