Micro Mark Milling Machine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
My UPS guy showed up with 120 lbs. in 2 boxes. I've been assembling it for a couple of hours now and still have a ways to go. The REALLY heavy stuff is on and aligned and now we're getting into the details. I've been taking pics as I go so I'll have a few posted soon.
I had to sit down to relieve my aching back, but I have plans to get all the mechanical parts on tonight and save the electrical work for tomorrow.
So far I'm extremely impressed with every part. This is serious quality. They even include all the wrenches and Allen keys needed. As usual, the instructions could be better. There's a step by step assembly sheet with photos, but when it says you need to install part #46 and #51 at this time, you have to look in the back of the user manual at the exploded view to see what those parts look like.
Here's the picture on their site of how it looks.
84630_L.jpg
Milling Machine.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase, Now you have to learn how to use it if you don't already know how. After that you wish you had a bigger one ant then have it CNC, I know that what happened to me. I am at the point of learning the CNC part.

Really cool Ralph, have you ever done any machinists work before? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the learning curve if starting from scratch and being self taught.

Well I have tinkered with it for about 6 years now and really have learned very little. My problem is I have to many irons in the fire. Right now I have a 5th scale car with a Oneill Bothers twin cylinder engine and am trying to get the 2 speed to work. I have a model of a dragline that is to be RC'D and 3 tractors 1/14 scale a 1/16 scale truck and a dump trailer all in stages. On top of that is trying to learn so you can see were I am coming from.

Very nice, get some videos of it up and running.

Every time I finished another step I had to take a break to relieve my back. Well, little by little it was one more thing each time. I took my final break when everything was done except pulling the circuit board and making all the connections. Before going to bed I stood there and looked at it and thought, "That's all that's left".
Yeah, you guessed it. I switched to a slotted blade and started connecting the wires. Just after 2AM I went through the final check phase and started it up. WOW! I was watching the chuck turning and hearing almost nothing. This thing is so quiet and absolutely void of any vibration. What incredible power. At 50 RPM you can't even slow the chuck down. There's a circuit in it that will up the power under heavy load to maintain the RPM.
I've got quite a few tools coming in the mail along with a precision vise to mount on it, so for now I can't do any testing. The vice will be here tomorrow. I also have an assortment of thicknesses and sizes of 6061 aluminum bar stock on the way.

Here's the vise I ordered. I also have a dial indicator with the magnetic base on the way.
82747_L.jpg

Last edited:
Every time I finished another step I had to take a break to relieve my back. Well, little by little it was one more thing each time. I took my final break when everything was done except pulling the circuit board and making all the connections. Before going to bed I stood there and looked at it and thought, "That's all that's left".
Yeah, you guessed it. I switched to a slotted blade and started connecting the wires. Just after 2AM I went through the final check phase and started it up. WOW! I was watching the chuck turning and hearing almost nothing. This thing is so quite and absolutely void of any vibration. What incredible power. At 50 RPM you can't even slow the chuck down. There's a circuit in it that will up the power under heavy load to maintain the RPM.
I've got quite a few tools coming in the mail along with a precision vise to mount on it, so for now I can't do any testing. The vice will be here tomorrow. I also have an assortment of thicknesses and sizes of 6061 aluminum bar stock on the way.
This thing sounds like some seriously high quality kit. How much was it?

The bare machine without any tools or vice is $824 + $98 shipping.
I almost ordered it on black Friday when they offered free shipping.
Cyber Monday I got an eMail that everything on the Micro Mark site was 20% off....except shipping.

$824 less 20%. Do the math. Great buy!

The bare machine without any tools or vice is $824 + $98 shipping.
I almost ordered it on black Friday when they offered free shipping.
Cyber Monday I got an eMail that everything on the Micro Mark site was 20% off....except shipping.

$824 less 20%. Do the math. Great buy!
Got yourself a nice deal. Now you've just got to make it all worthwhile and machine some parts for something, you thinking of adding anything to the bling thing?

First in line are the extensions I need for wheelie bars on the brushless 1/5 scale bike I'm working on. When I get used to it I plan to make the servo & electronics cover for the Bling Thing. That's about the only part that hasn't been changed to alloy.

You coulda just built it on a table. :D
That was half the problem. I was trying to hold up the table also.

Really cool Ralph, have you ever done any machinists work before? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the learning curve if starting from scratch and being self taught.
Just to update a couple of questions, I did at one time maintain all kinds of production and packaging machinery, and if something broke and we didn't have a part in stock, I got to make it. So, for the most part, I'm self taught with a lot of tips from the full time machinists, but I got to learn on company time.
Later, a guy that had inherited a privately owned business that produced round artist's paint brush handles wanted me to start up the business that had been down for several years. These were some old, antique machines that were all driven by a 220V motor in the ceiling, turning a shaft the length of the shop with 4" wide leather belts driving whichever machine you engaged. I did some major teardowns and rebuilds on all the machines and found it fascinating and I was on my own. Made some monster money but work is also a major part of social life and it was just me and an occasional dog from the neighborhood.
Anyhow, if the huge automatic lathe was pumping out brush handles I got to play with anything I wanted. I got pretty creative with the big horizontal milling machine.
I've always missed not being able to make shapes in metal, and now they have finally gotten good enough and small enough where I can have my own.
The one I got can be upgraded to auto feeds and eventually CNC, so it just might keep me entertained for a while.
My back still hasn't recovered from yesterday, but I think I'll be back up and running tomorrow when the vice arrives. :)

Here are a few pics taken during assembly.
Mill 061.jpg

Mill 062.jpg

Mill 065.jpg

Mill 069.jpg

Mill 070.jpg

The vice and some cutting tools arrived today. Got it mounted and squared.
Mill 074.jpg

Mill 075.jpg

Up and running. Just doing some testing on Plexiglas.
Mill 080.jpg

Very Cool Raph! :thumbs-up:

Looks like a standard R8 shank on the drill chuck,I would Highly recommend you get end mill holders/collets for cutting. A drill chuck won't hold up very well to side loads of cutting.

So that is upgradable to cnc? How much does that cost? I would really like to have a small cnc mill in my garage. Still need to hook it up but I do now have a small lathe now with some neat attachments for some milling and tool-post grinding. Not cnc though.

If you have any questions on machining,I know a thing or two :D

@Racer 1966
Fully up-gradable to CNC, Randy. I've looked around and bookmarked a few links for parts, programs and info but don't have the price on that just yet. I might start with one drive motor for $195.
Yes, it's an R8 taper and I will be getting collets for the cutting tools and saving the chuck for precise drilling only.

freakin' sweet Rolex! I've always wanted to be able to do that kind of stuff but I have to many other hobbies to take on a whole new one.

I have to many other hobbies to take on a whole new one.
It's MORE than a hobby. It's an obsession.
@Racer 1966 I now have the two basic collets I need, the 1/4 and the 3/8. You can really see and feel the difference once the chuck is replaced by one of them. I have end mills from 1/8 to 3/8 right now with either a 1/4 or a 3/8 shaft. I've gotten some bar stock in both 6061 aluminum and brass. I have the magnetic mount dial indicator and I've trammed my vice. I'm on a roll.

Back