Mgt 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.w.l.m

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used a ae .50 with a 4.60 transmission. If so completely destroyed it or what?

Not sure what an AE .50 or a 4.60 tansmission are. Not sure what kit we are talking either. Can you elaborate?

i have not tried using the 8.0/.50 with the MGT transmission of the 4.6 version, though most companies are going to be pretty minimalistic when it comes to upgrading where needed so id really think the 8.0 / .50 wouldn't be upgraded unless it was needed to. the MGT 8.0 has a slipper shaft brace, all steel internal gears (4.6 has the 1-2nd drive spurs in plastic), and the 8.0 has thicker shafts in the transmission itself.

Dont know why you even want to mess with an 8.0 engine anyway ,they have unpredictable tune ,fuel hogs ,
starter output issues an parts maybe hard to find!...:spitoutdummy::spitoutdummy::spitoutdummy:

I dont know why you dont just put a budget 28 engine on there like a Dynamite or a Trackstar engine ,
a 28 is plenty of power an is easier to find parts for an also easier on fuel mileage!

Those engines can be had for only about a $ 110 bucks!

I just got my hands on a mgt 8.0 and I am having some slipping issues. But only under hard throttle at low speeds and i just want some mgt wheelies lol but i have like 3 4.6 transmissions laying around. I know that there no where near as built as the 8.0 transmission. Was just wondering if anyone tried it and if the outcome was horrible or not lol. And i have throught about a bigred .28 but its like 200 bucks in Canada.

Just saw your first post cbaker so the tranny actually held up. Thats crazy.

Just saw your first post cbaker so the tranny actually held up. Thats crazy.

Yea ,sadly ,the 8.0's popped ,I then stopped buying the 8.0 ,I blew 2 new ones up an
just went with the HPI 5.9 ,still on the same trans!
Your o-way bearing is probably getting ready to blow or there might have been some
grease that got on the shaft ,there should never ever be grease on that shaft where
the o-way bearing rides on ,sometimes the grease on the gear will sling it in that area
an get on the shaft!... :cool:
Try cleaning the shaft & o-way bearing!

Yea ,sadly ,the 8.0's popped ,I then stopped buying the 8.0 ,I blew 2 new ones up an
just went with the HPI 5.9 ,still on the same trans!
Your o-way bearing is probably getting ready to blow or there might have been some
grease that got on the shaft ,there should never ever be grease on that shaft where
the o-way bearing rides on ,sometimes the grease on the gear will sling it in that area
an get on the shaft!... :cool:
Try cleaning the shaft & o-way bearing!
I've had the tranny apart and cleaned the shaft and tried my best too clean the one way bearing. What would be the best way too go about cleaning the bearing? Wd-40 and a good dry maybe?

I've had the tranny apart and cleaned the shaft and tried my best too clean the one way bearing. What would be the best way too go about cleaning the bearing? Wd-40 and a good dry maybe?

You could try that ,but what I found on them ,is the retainer that holds the needle bearings in
the o-way bearing is very fragile an they tend to crack so it is possible that it is ,so you might
better start looking for a new one!
They are snapped in with a c-clip ,I am not sure ,but I think someone else here said that the shaft
was bigger from the 4.6 version ,but to make sure ,you can check ,if they are the same size ,you can
try swapping out the o-way bearing with a 4.6 one!
I thought that the only change internally on them was the spur output shaft & metal gears ,an
the main shaft was the same size!..🤔

id soak the OWB in brake cleaner (non chlorinated) or alcohol, WD-40 doesn't really do the best for cleaning per se, and can leave a film behind when it dries up so will just cause slippage again.
You could try that ,but what I found on them ,is the retainer that holds the needle bearings in
the o-way bearing is very fragile an they tend to crack so it is possible that it is ,so you might
better start looking for a new one!
They are snapped in with a c-clip ,I am not sure ,but I think someone else here said that the shaft
was bigger from the 4.6 version ,but to make sure ,you can check ,if they are the same size ,you can
try swapping out the o-way bearing with a 4.6 one!
I thought that the only change internally on them was the spur output shaft & metal gears ,an
the main shaft was the same size!..🤔
internally the 8.0 main shaft from front and rear outputs, and i think the idler shaft (unconfirmed on that though) are different, found that out when trying to install an Forward only conversion thinking the 8.0 FOC would fit the 4.6 trans. where the shafts come out and connect to the drive cups iirc they were the same size, but internally where the gears sat the shaft was larger.

Back