Mgt 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmzm

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys I'm thinking about to purchase a mgt 8.0 just want to know what you think about this truck is it strong, fast or powerful?
please let me know thanks.

IMO look at the 4.6 instead. They both utilize the same chassis/parts but the motor in the 4.6 is a more reliable powerplant. Also be aware that the diffs are weak in this rig. If you dont mind the wrenching aspects every 1/2 gallon or so of putting a new diff in than the rig is a great truck. If wrenching turns you off than you may wanna consider a Savage X. The Savage has far better aftermarket support as the MGT is starting to die out and parts are going to get harder to come by in the next couple years

thanks, i own few trucks savage xl, x, revo 3.3, stampede 2.5, summit, but i dont have any ae trucks thats why i was thinking about mgt 8.0 but if you say that the aftermarket support is not that good, i think a may dont want the mgt any more.
Any recommendations for a nice good truck.

i would suggest a Team Losi Lst-2 or xxl.big,strong beautyful.plenty of mods.very strong 2 speed.i attached a brushless 4s system to the 2 speed and WOW!!!!

I have the 8.0 , and I like my X and XL alot better , my turnbuckle on my 8.0 break's all most every time I take it out even when doing a small back flip , I can put a beating on my X and XL all day long with no problem's .

100_2171.jpg

I don't bash mine hard and its been a great truck. The 8.0 is pretty easy to work on but the stock pipe is a huge POS.

I just got my mgt 8.0 for x-mas. got er past break-in. Like the power & the toughness! Was out jumping & wheelie-ing, lost the set screw to the coupler @ rear diff. causing it to pull with just the front end! Waiting impatiently on parts so I can get this BEAST going again! Haven't done any hard bashing or anything yet but def. liking it so far! Good luck on your decisions!

I just got my mgt 8.0 just can't get it to run right i called support line they told me to set the carb to 3 high speed 5 1/2 low just wont run then i was reading from post that people had online to set to 3 1/4-3 1/2 high 7 on low speed it will run just does not run good ?

I have the 4.6 Mgt bought it new. I have had no issue with my diffs guess I am lucky. Truck has had about a gallon run through it. I have owned about every brand and make of truck the Mgt hangs with any of them. I do wish there were more aftermarket support for the truck. If I had to pick a favorite brand it would be Traxxas just cause my favorite truck is the Revo. Maybe one day I will get a good deal on a cen genisis truck. I hope

He asked if it's powerful. :hehe:

Truck all torque

Durable, yes but not idiot-proof like the savage.

So are you trying to say that idiots like the savage , what it sounds like to me

So are you trying to say that idiots like the savage , what it sounds like to me

:whhooo: Should i rephrase to suit your understanding.

List of things that dont exist
Idiot-Proof = It will break
unicorns = As seen on tv
Darwin's parachute = isn't literally parachute but then again what parachute

Yes i own an XL and MGT love them both :p:

Hi guys thanks for your help, I decided to buy the losi xxl and for
The person who commented about ¡ idiot-prof like the savage !was not necessary .

Hi guys thanks for your help, I decided to buy the losi xxl

Suggest you buy a 3 point roll-bar. A friend of mine already cracked the block in half putting one of those under a parked car.

As i stated, i dont call anyone and Idiot, i said idot-proof as nothing is stooping you from doing anything especially screwing up. Thats why we have stuff like rev limiters on cars

Last edited:
jwbadass: Did alot of tuning during break-in. Best advice to give as i followed other tuner's advice, BE REALLY PATIENT, IT WILL GET THERE!!! Got er set good now. Did some bashing for 3 days last week-end, IMPRESSED SOME COUSINS, LOL!!! My head temp around glowplug is @ the 247-262 deg. range! recommended is 220-260 deg. Got a small trail of blueish smoke during high throttle, it will stay idling, & a wheelie pulling S.O.B.!!! Running byron 20% fuel & dynamite glow-plug.....a MC59 glow-plug is highly recommended. Good luck & be safe!!!

---------- Post added at 1:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:18 PM ----------

I have the 8.0 , and I like my X and XL alot better , my turnbuckle on my 8.0 break's all most every time I take it out even when doing a small back flip , I can put a beating on my X and XL all day long with no problem's .

100_2171.jpg

Well no problems with mine yet (knock on wood), done some decent jumping & bashing, quite impressed with the toughness of this BEAST!!!

I sold my MGT 8 few weeks ago. It was a very powerful truck but I didn't like the handling on it o I put sway bars on it. That helped but man that engine is a beast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Suggest you buy a 3 point roll-bar. A friend of mine already cracked the block in half putting one of those under a parked car.

As i stated, i dont call anyone and Idiot, i said idot-proof as nothing is stooping you from doing anything especially screwing up. Thats why we have stuff like rev limiters on cars

It would be easier to just upgrade the Engine brace, the stock one isn't that good. If you can find the Red Dynamite, buy that one.. Of course i don't know what angle it hit at but the better engine brace is a good upgrade on the XXL's..