Mgt 8.0 just after break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nscrracefan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well guys, just got the engine 3 tanks past break in. Still trying to find that sweet spot. Today had it run off on me a couple times, like the throttle stuck open & wouldn't return to neutral. Thinking batteries might be low??? But when this thing is on, IT'S ON!!! Get back with you nitro junkies later!

Runaways can be expensive, look into a throttle return spring and a fail safe. Are you running a 2.4ghz radio or 27mhz? I think the MGT comes stock with a 27.

I went through the FS procedures, Tested it & it was working! I'll double check it! The tranmitter is the 2.4, 3ch! When I turned of the truck then the transmitter & turned everything back on it was working just fine. Then started truck then it did it again after about 15-20 sec. the throttle went somewhat open & would not return to neutral. All the springs are on the linkage. It was in the low 30's today also here in MO.!!!

Wow, is it new? 30 is pretty cold for breaking in a new engine, if you're going to be running it in the cold, you're gonna have to start wrapping the head. When it's cold out you have to run richer to make up for the denser air, this will keep it from reaching optimal temps and cause extra stress and wear on the engine components.

Yea, she's new, definetly will warm up the head. Been ready some posts on here about warming up the head first since it's a BB & drinks fuel!!! Got it for the boys for Xmas but they took all their Xmas $$$ & bought their own. One got the Traxxas Stampede & the other 2 got Traxxas Slash, so I ended up with the MGT!!!

That's cool man, you can all go out bashing together.

Right on ShrodeMode, lol! Supposed to be in the upper 30's tomorrow, going to tweek on her a lil more but definetly warm up the head first! Might even freshin' up the batteries to! I'll get back with all of ya if she runs off again! Be safe!

Warming the head is definitely a good idea but what shrodemode is trying to say is you should wrap it with a sock something similar, I've even read that tin foil works. I personally stick to electric in the winter. Anyways I hope you and the boys have a hell of a time with the hobby, you all got some good quality rigs.

Hey Wacmartin, thanks! Having lots of fun. It's about 40 here in MO. today. Heated up the head with a small butane torch warm to the touch. She hit just about right off from the start! Now the bad news, out jumping & pulling some wheelies it was only pulling from the front end. The front tires & both drive lines turn with the front wheels but the back wheels only free wheel by their self, with nothing else turning...... So being mechanically inclined I'm assuming I snapped something in the rear diff., lol!!! Looks like a tear-down already, but that S.O.B. was on it today. NOT TOUCHING ANY ADJUSTMENTS!!! Be safe nitro junkies!!!

---------- Post added at 1:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:39 PM ----------

ShrodeMode: No runaways today, was performing flawless, think something might of gotten to cold yesteray hanging up a servo........ Now I think I got a rear diff that snapped!!!

You should still cover the head with something to help retain heat in the cold weather, you can always richen the needle to keep it from overheating. It may seem like its running great, but it's probably lean and will be toast soon. Nitro engines can't be run too cool or they wear right out.

Thanks for the input 2Revo! Will do, cause I really would like to get some fun time out of that BAD BOY!!!!

I think I read somewhere on here that the diffs on the MGT are also weak point.

Set screw to the coupler that is on the pinion shaft on the rear diff fell out during running causing coupler to spin on pinion shaft!!! Waiting on parts for re-assembly.....Spun pinion shaft & rear diff is solid & both axles spin!!!

Since the MGT runs three servos, you're going to want to upgrade the aa battery holder to a rechargeable receiver pack. You'll get longer run times than the aa's and a more constant voltage to the servos. Also that stock exhaust is a huge pile of crap. Get a tuned pipe and that motor will really perform.

What tuned pipe do you nitro junkies suggest for my rig? Like to get some input so I can do some shopping,lol!!!

I run the savage Xl tuned pipe on mine. I've also heard the Assocaited tuned pipe is nice as well. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

Back