Mgt 3.0 big block set up????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwilly420

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a new project that i am about to start MGT 3.0 big block build.Now i dont really plan to put a true big block in.Mid block really.Picco .26 Red Dot.Just wanted to know if anyone has done this and has some idea"s.I know new era has a big block kit,(soldout,has been forever.) I can not find one anywhere.(trust me i have my sources)I called New Era To see if they would custom make one just for me they said yes$$$$.But Would take awhile????.My other choice of engine is a Novarossi 2.5 supercharged(same dimensions as the stock.18) with a ths1030 tuned pipe.But that would be a side pipe set up.I Know a very well known named rc motor modder that dynoed a novarossi 2.5 supercharged engine with the ths1030 pipe got the max power out of that engine with that pipe.Same as my revo with the picco .26 red dot with the 053 side pipe best set up I.M.O.(Rear pipe with the red dot is ths146b) Has anyone used a novarossi 2.5 supercharged?? HAS ANYONE PUT A PICCO.26 RED DOT IN A MGT 3.0.I know what i am doing,but it is always nice to have someone who has done it to show some pointers.THANKS FOR ANY INFO.AND BY ANY MEANS IF ANYONE HAS SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT SOME THING ASK CAUSE I HAVE DONE JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH SOMETHING,JACK OF ALL CONVERSIONS.LOL

You can drop a OS.21TM straight in pretty much. I know nothing about the Novarossi engine other than it cost too much for a .15 engine IMO. I would have to look at the mount on the truck and see if anything else can be modded to make a differnt mount work for the Picco.

Well guy"s New Era made me a big block kit for the mgt 3.0 (i had to call then wait about two weeks) and i got a good deal on a lrp z.28r spec 3 engine.with the extreme mod. (i know right).Simple to install.You use everything from the pro.18.collet,flywheel, clutch nut,shoes,springs and clutchbell. I used mugen aluminum shoes with 1.1mm springs. I did not want side exhaust on this which left out using my 053 and 086 pipe.I actually ordered a couple of pipes and headers to try.Figured i could sell the ones i did"nt want on Ebay.Ordered two different roto starts.If any one knows where i can find a wheelie bar for this thing please let me know. I will post some pics when i am done with her

Last edited:
Well i like the tiger drive s704 for a roto start.finally breaking in the motor.snapping pins in the drive line.fixed the pin snapping.i went with a team associated mgt.21 pipe and a hpi header.fits perfect and still exits out the rear.went with proline masher tires and proline wheels. c
dsc0170iq.jpg
razy fast mgt 3.0 second gear is crazy.

Last edited:
i have posted some pics on my profile page under rides.checkem out.

well,the .28 is just to much for the mini.tearing out diffs,and trans.(it is actually hard to find trans parts?)just gonna scale back to a.21.or a traxxas 3.3.as for the .28,looking for a roller. it would be killer in a truggie.

Well guys the mgt 3.0 big block did'nt work out.Ripping the trans apart.I think it would work if i could find alloy transmission cases.The case melts,where the forward and reverse gear shafts seat into the case.Integy had some advertised,but they were not trans cases,they were diff cases.So I am selling the new era big block kit with the engine and pipe.Just going to get a stock .18 and mod the hell out of it and upgrade the pipe.So all in all it was a waste of time and money.

An OS .18CV-R throws around the MGT3.0, The .21TM would be rediculous...Forget about a big block.

You would"nt happen to know which o.s would fit right in would ya? I know there is three models.#11860 is short shaft with rotary carb,#11881 is standard with slide carb,#11880 is standard with rotary carb.I might just get this engine.

I had an OS .18 CV-R in mine. I had to buy some Du-bro linkage parts and flip the braking lever around to get it to work right. Easy fix. took me about 45 minutes and 6 bucks in parts. IDK which one would be a direct drop in.

Heres a video of my friend driving the MGT3.0 with an OS .18 in it right after I sold it to him. Now bare in mind this is his first time driving an RC so he isnt hammering the throttle full tilt but theres a couple of parts where he gets it moving pretty good. :)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3QpFGMzwk"]MGT3.0 with OS .18CV-R bashing vid - Claude Edition - YouTube[/ame]

Heres a video of the mod I did on the linkages.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPAGK_7W6T0"]Mini MGT 3 0 Slide Carb Mod - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I had to do the same linkage mod when I installed a trx 3.3.but I never ran it.I see you have the slide carb.I would be using the rotory carb.Which shaft did the engine you used have?The standard shaft or the short?Thanks

---------- Post added at 2:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:46 AM ----------

I take it was the standard shaft.because I believe OS only made the slide carb with the standard shaft.

Back