MERV Questions?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I have a birthday coming up before too much longer, and I'm thinking about getting myself a MERV VXL (I always get myself the coolest gifts :D). My question is, I've heard mixed reviews on the durability of the diffs in them on lipo power. I have a bunch of 3s 2200 packs for the helis, and would like to use those as I wouldn't have to buy more packs. I'm not worried about being able to do back flips, but I'm pretty notorious for ripping wheelies. Be honest MERV owners, how durable are they on 3s? If not the MERV, anything else you'd recommend for a cheap fun smaller basher I can run around the apartment parking lot when it snows and such? Preferably that I can use those 3s packs with too.

I ran mine for a few months (entire time I had it) on 3s, never broke anything drive train wise. They run like a raped ape on 3s too, standing back flips become annoying after a while lol.

I ran mine for a few months (entire time I had it) on 3s, never broke anything drive train wise. They run like a raped ape on 3s too, standing back flips become annoying after a while lol.

Good to know SNG, thanks. I kinda just want something smaller, but as reliable as my pede has been drive line wise, man it's been bombproof on 3s the whole time. I've been looking at the MERV, and the mini summit too.

I want a Merv Bad, But i have to finish my Baja first, Still need the killer bee and my rear chassis plate to get it back together. Then maybe one day i can order a merv.....i have watched vids on them for a while and i like what i see.

First thing I did is shim the diff and make sure there was no play. My sons has no issues. When I got mine from metal head Matt the different was toast. Replaced it and checked the mesh and it's all good. We love the merv mine takes a pounding.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

2012-01-09_21-27-11_467.jpg

This might help with you decision. Lol

First thing I did is shim the diff and make sure there was no play. My sons has no issues. When I got mine from metal head Matt the different was toast. Replaced it and checked the mesh and it's all good. We love the merv mine takes a pounding.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

2012-01-09_21-27-11_467.jpg

This might help with you decision. Lol

Nice rides bergoff, I really dig the black rims on the one. You guys running on 3s? That's the big thing, it just makes sense for me to standardize on one size pack as much as I can. Rather than having a ton of different lipos laying around and having to maintain them all.

I run 3s in mERV VXL and have had absolutely 0 problems with the drive line. I cured my back-flip problem by putting the center diff in it. Handles great now and I can punch it off of the line and not worry about it landing on its lid.

My son is 7 and he ran 3s once and it was scary. He also hit the curb full throttle. He switched back super fast. I only got 5 runs out of my only 3s before it stopped working. It dropped a cell I don't know why. I'm going to order some more real soon. The proline rims and tires help out with flipping from The added weight but will set you back $70.

Haven't had issues with mine yet. Still running on 2 nimh, however, I can still flip it on its lid with a series connecter. I can't imagine what I might destroy with lipo. :whhooo:

I have gone through 2 diffs and probably 7 stock plastic drive shafts. I am starting to think my mesh may be incorrect but cvds on a merv is always a good idea as a upgrade if running lipos.

Well, I'll probably do it soon. I was going to get the Venom dirt bike, but they cheaped out on components in the end. Fine by me, saves me $150.

Should make a good little rig for tighter spaces on NiMh, and easy to pack up when I travel too.

Let me know how things go, i will most likley try to trade my savy for one as long as its set up right, i think i want out of nitro completly.

My vxl summit has taken all my 3s lipo runs as well. They are basically the same setup and love mine. I'm definately going all VXL for the waterproof ease of use and they are just damn fast