Maybe Time To Try Some On-Road

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well as the title says it may be about my time to try some on-road/parking lot racing. I have a couple of friends at church that want to start something like that and with me and my son we have 4 now. It won't be for a while but I figured I would start my own thread for some discussion and advice.

For starters,we'll need to figure a layout for the track and some basic rules. The track should be easy enough with me running VRC. I shouldn't have any problems there. But rules/class specs etc.,well that's an area I may need help with.

Then we'll need to decide if we want nitro(me me me :)) or electric(my son). I don't know what the others want.

Also I'll need to find cars,inexpensive cars. Feel free to post up some opinions on them :yes:

The thread is now open! :)

HPI E10 is a pretty cheap drifter. I had one and liked it pretty good but I also had a XRAY T1 at the time which was way nicer.

my suggestion is vintage electric. 25.5T brushless HPI vintage wheels/tires only. Vintage body. Its very popular right now because it is a cost savings class. The cars will be easy to control because they won't be crazy fast so it's perfect for newbies to driving on a circuit. Randy you'llbe amazed by how quickly you'll lick up on it IRL because of hour VRC experience.

Sweet idea Josh,that's my kinda body styles :yes: I found a brand new HPI SPrint 2 for $125 with the '69 Camaro body,too bad there's no funds for this yet.

This class would be fun to run

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you from experience that racing in a parking lot can be fun as hell, but you may want to consider going electric due to where you are racing. Nitro noise gives the fun suckers a good reason to get you booted from the lot no matter who owns it.

You also want to make sure to get a chassis that can take some abuse and has great parts support. The AE NTC3 is a great choice for nitro and the TC4 or TC5 are great options on the electric side. All can be had for cheap if you look hard enough.

I picked up a TC4 on ebay for about $150 last summer. Great car, and very tough. The only thing i have broke was my own stupidity when i tightend down the motor hold down clamp to far and it broke the tab off.

I have been debating on selling or trading it, only because i dont have anyone to run with.

Back