Mammoth vs. MGT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basher Boy

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am sick of my unreliable t-maxx an I wan't a change. What is a better durable, unbreakable, reliable, hardly ever have to tune, but powerful truck?

What is so unreliable about your t-maxx. The has been a very strong truck for me except w/ i hit stuff @ WOT....

I can never get it tuned right.

I have the Mammoth and it's fast, but not durable. If u like to see prove check my gallery. All that damage was the first time running it after break-in. As for the MGT, I wish I would have chosen that truck instead. It's fast and durable.

I have the MGT and have had the MAmmoth in my possesion long enough to make a personal comparison. I have noticed that the Mammoth has a few weak spots that can be remedied through aftermarket parts. The shock towers are poop. The braces are as well but installing TWO of them in each spot work great. Now the MGT may not be as fast stock but trust me it more then makes up for it in durability and handling. The MGT is also very easy to work on. I am pretty sure that New era and RPM have made parts that make the MGT better. The CVA's should be replaced and the knuckles by RPM and ARMS as well. THE TT PRO 21 is a great engine.

I really like my monster gt, and for a newbieish kinda guy to nitro, the tt .21 has proven to be very easy to work with.

I'm trying to get rid of it in the classifieds, if you are looking. :D

Brandon

The T-Maxx is a very good truck but that 2.5 racing engine is a b*ych 2 tune.....in a matter of fact i never got mined tunned i just got a new engine....but dont which trucks becasue of the ENGINE.....unless u have problems w/ how it was made.

Do you have the old Maxx with the .15 or is it the 2.5. If it's the 2.5, the biggest problem with that engine is a VERY poor cooling head. Get a better head for it. I highly recommend ACNCM (American CNC Machining) monster head. Check out their web site.
I'm also adding the basics to make an engine run when it's out of tune. Take your time, and as long as you don't have a dirty carb or any air leaks, you'll be able to get it running right.

Put the nose of the truck against something firm so it can't get away from you. If you have an EZ start, keep it running while moving your LSN one way or the other till it starts to run.
Adjust your LSN and idle screw till it idles well and will run up to half throttle. (get it to running temp before you finalize any settings) When it idles properly, throttle it to half and see if it stalls or bogs down. If it stalls, it's too lean. If it bogs, it's too rich.
Now go to full throttle. This is when you adjust your HSN. Same thing. If it bogs, it's too rich, stalls, it's too lean.
When it seems to be running good, pinch the fuel line. It should speed up slightly and then stall within 3 - 4 seconds. If it stops quickly, your LSN is too lean. If it takes longer, the LSN is too rich.
Drive it for a while and then take a temp check to make sure it's at the proper temp. If it's too hot, richen the HSN.
You will have to make small adjustments on the HSN almost daily to compensate for outside temperature and humidity.

By the way, the factory settings are for break in, or a starting point if you really messed things up. Once an engine is broken in, don't expect it to run right by going to those settings.

That is a good proceeder but i thought u were suppose 2 start from HSN casue the HSN controls the overal flow of fuel ???

I still say doesn't matter w/ the 2.5 engine casue i still is hard 2 tune.....My :2cents:

Man Torque ..sorry to say it man but your posts are a bitch to read. Not quite sure what you say . Its hard to comment or reply back since I don't want to make a post that replies to you but has no bearing to what you say.

As for this thread the guy did say he wants a change. Let's help him to decide if either of these two trucks is what he wants. If he decides he needs help on his Maxx let him start thread for it.

Jon

Just curious as to why the savage didn't make your list? All I have is the savage, so I can't really comment on the two your looking at except for what I've read.

The mammoth is fast but is prone to breakage. The engine is a good engine though. Lots of guys run the engine thats on the mammoth in their savage or 21 maxx and really like it.

The MGT looks to be about as easy to work on as the t-maxx since it's a pan type chassis. But it may be prone to some of the same things as the maxx, such as, weak arms and shock towers and weak shocks. As for the driveline and the rest of the truck, I have yet to see anyone complain about it.

in my experiance the trx 2.5 has been a VERY easy engine to tune, i don't know why you're having so much trouble with it. most of the time i drive it now i don't even have to touch the needles, and it runs strong and reliably for the whole tank.

Nitro_Freak said:
in my experiance the trx 2.5 has been a VERY easy engine to tune, i don't know why you're having so much trouble with it. most of the time i drive it now i don't even have to touch the needles, and it runs strong and reliably for the whole tank.

From personal experiance and what I've read, your engine is one of the few.

Nitro_Freak said:

I second that. I have my good days and bad ones tuning it

I Third that, the 2.5 sucks. If u must get a new MT, i would say go w/ the MGT. It's bigger !!! But my t-maxx w/ would still run over it.... :devious:

If you are getting a new MT you might want to at least consiter the Team Losi LST or the Tamiya TNX. I am getting a new MT as well and my final list to choose from came down to these 3: LST, TNX, MGT

They all sound like great trucks and I bet you will be happy if you choose any of them.

Back