Maintenance of LiPo batteries ( for nitro cars)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADOR

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Fresh meat here.
I bought 2nd hand MP10, trying to bring it to perfect order.
I have zero experience with LiPo batteries ( one pack in the car for the radio sys, other one inside the starter box)- and i want to understand how to maintain it.
(I gave designated charger)
My questions:
1. When to charge? After every ride? ( since I understood it’s prohibited to drain it completely)
2. If i dont know when the next time i use the car- what to do? Keep as is? Discharge? Storage mode?
3. How to tell i have “bad” battery?
Thanks in advance!

My advise is to read up on Lipo's and strictly follow the advise. Lipo's are awesome but extreme care should be taken. I never charge mine until I am ready to use them and always storage charge them as soon as I'm finished. All of mine are in storage bags and then put in metal ammo box's.
Again "READ UP ON LIPO'S".

Hey guys,
Fresh meat here.
I bought 2nd hand MP10, trying to bring it to perfect order.
I have zero experience with LiPo batteries ( one pack in the car for the radio sys, other one inside the starter box)- and i want to understand how to maintain it.
(I gave designated charger)
My questions:
1. When to charge? After every ride? ( since I understood it’s prohibited to drain it completely)
2. If i dont know when the next time i use the car- what to do? Keep as is? Discharge? Storage mode?
3. How to tell i have “bad” battery?
Thanks in advance!
Yup I just charge them after every run. Seems to work fine. That way I don't have the risk of draining it. If you aren't going to use it for a while just put it in storage mode. As for telling if it is a bad battery, if it is puffed up and is very warm, immediately throw it out on a patch of concrete, something that won't catch fire. Do it before it burns your house down.

Charge before you use it, storage charge when your done. If it sits for months at a time, check the voltage every 30 days or so to make sure it hasn't dropped much, if it does, storage charge again as needed.

Charge before you use it, storage charge when your done. If it sits for months at a time, check the voltage every 30 days or so to make sure it hasn't dropped much, if it does, storage charge again as needed.
Thanks a lot! Will do

maybe a suggestion... when you charge the lipo make a note as to how many MAH's you are putting back to bring it to a full charge. I would suspect you are replacing far less than the total MAH of the battery. (say I have a 2500 MAH battery. At the end of the run you are replacing 400 MAH, most lipo chargers will tell you, I should be able to run that same battery for 5 runs before the battery needs to be re-charged.). Recharging after each run sounds totally unnecessary.

You may also try NI-MH batteries. Less expensive, much less volatile. I have a set of four in a nitro 1/8 scale truck and charge them about every 12 runs.

Back