Lst shock conversion vs HPI big bore

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaterX

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm thinking i want to switch the 8 shock setup out for some type of big bore HPI or Losi. The LST needs some hardware but you can pick up the stock xxl LST shocks on eBay pretty cheap. I like to bash and do speed runs. It just seems that with 4 shocks your half as likely to break a shock . The fewer moving parts you have on a basher or most other off road vehicle the better. IMO If any one has run both types or has some thoughts or opinions. Thanks

I just switched over to the HPI big bores. I got tired of breaking shocks shafts on the dual set up. So far the big bores are working great.

Big bores work much better all around than the LST shocks and are a direct bolt on. They may not look as impressive but the work 100x's better.

^^I don't know about that. I love the shocks on my LST, they take quite a beating, they are very smooth and they dampen very well. The LST is also a much heavier truck than the savage. Don't get me wrong, the big bores are nice, but I much prefer the LST shocks over HPI's big bores for hard core bashing. I would give the LST shocks a try, that's what I am going with once my big bores break or start to leak.

Last edited:
Not saying they aren't fantastic on an LST cause they are and on the muggy as well. Just with the required stand offs to put them on a savage causes lots of issues when they are on a savage.

picked up another set of 4 stock big bore shocks the other day. would 8 be too much on 1 machine? what if ya used a combo of 1 big-bore and 1 regular stock shocks on each corner?
also the truck is really saggy with the 4 big-bores on it and somewhere i read that you can replace the short spring with a traxxas jato spring and get good results. any truth to this rumor

Last edited:
The big bores won't clear the steering tie rods on the front. I thought about the combo you mentioned above but you will have to find a longer top mount bolt. the stock one is too short for that I already tried.

ok, thanks cwal, wont waste the effort then.

I also heard about the Jato springs TRXAddict has done it and said that it made a big improvement. I agree that it does sag a little more than I would like with just the 4 big bores. I wonder if there is a heavier rate spring available for them.

Last edited:
yea, i do believe so. with these its so hard to tell because the spring is so much bigger than normal