loving my truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys

yesterday i took my truck down to my local rugby/football field, roughly 5 minutes walk from my house drove the truck there.

she ran flawlessly, the only problem was the driver me

i have always been cautious with my truck to not break it, that changed yesterday i learned what this truck can take

in total it must have rolled 30 times and did a barrel roll in the air with 5 flips,

i got to slow down when i turn

the only damage was a spit shell, the rear end had split apart on the truck bed ( fixed now ) and i lost a screw from my bumper arm again replaced now, and had to replace and solder some LEDs that broke from some impacts after rolling and landing end on end

the only real damage was my fuel tank that has started leaking, new one is on order with tower hobbies

i know its only a matter of time but so far but i have not needed any major hop ups or replacement parts

i have also fallen in love with tower hobbies i know its in the USA but compared to prices in the UK even with shipping there still the cheaper option for me, even beating Ebay in most cases just got my fuel tank from there for £10 in shipping vs UK suppliers £18

i guess what I'm trying to say but the savage is the ideal truck for newbies for durability in stock form, i think i will own this truck for quite some time if not permanently

I'm glad to hear it's all working out for you and you're having fun.
Don't worry about breaking things.. you'll learn as you go what parts break most frequently and keep some spare replacements on hand.

On the rare occasions that I get to run my cars, I assume I'm going to break something so I bring several with me.

i have had it for about a year now just haven't ran it vary much, had my steering servo fail Tuesday, got a 16KG one fitted now

i got to get a new shell my truck shell is in dire need of replacement

were can i get cheap 200mm wide shells

Lower your truck and soften your suspension, it will be harder to roll in a high speed turn. Makes a world of difference, or it did for me anyway.

Lower your truck and soften your suspension, it will be harder to roll in a high speed turn. Makes a world of difference, or it did for me anyway.

its already as low as it would go, i kind of forgot to remove the rear preload spacers that helped quite a bit,

i also took my shocks apart and cleaned them in dish soap and water to get all the grime and grease out of them

I'm now using some 2 stroke 15-20WT oil in them, and its perfect for my driving, not too bouncy yet not too hard, i can actually see the suspension working

i just got to get my wheelie bar and new shell when i got some spare cash

You can fix the crack in your "shell" (body) with some Shoe Goo and some fiberglass mesh dry wall tape. Don't run a new body on your truck because you will do the same thing to it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-7OZ-S...129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e631fa121

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-FibaTape...772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56671ac3d4

its already been repared quite a few times the rear end were it split in two on one side is stitched together with wire and hot glue, the truck bed copleatly split so i removed that and put a steel plate in there,

i just put LEDs in the front bumper, my phones camera sucks so colours don't show properly

here are a two pics

roughly in line with the steel plate is were its stitched on both sides ( did the non split side as a precaution ) its s true basher shell

zICdOx.jpg

and in this pic you can see the LEDs in the front bumper 2 blue 2 white (white ones are using the stock spot lights just drilled through)

mnPuFw.jpg

let me know if the images are not showing

It's pretty obvious that it required more than just some tape and some glue. I like it. The lights look cool!

thanks, there is 28 LEDS in total and the ones on the shell are controllable via the 2 toggle switches fitted in the back of my shell i think they have 4 or 5 flashing modes

I'm thinking of getting a fiberglass shell i know they're fairly expensive but it should take a beating,

i was given this shell after my friend got his savage roler, just the accidental cartwheels and rollovers and flips have taken their tole on in

I've been reading about and watching video's of guys spraying truck bed liner on the inside of their shells. It's looks like it would make it real tough.

I've been reading about and watching video's of guys spraying truck bed liner on the inside of their shells. It's looks like it would make it real tough.

i thought about that after watching an episode of mythbusters,

That body on my new Savage build that I bought has bed liner sprayed on the inside of it.

Last edited:
just a quick update, got my new fuel tank, also got a purple tank guard

also the rear of my truck finally gave up so i decided to try to make a custom baja style shell with some scrap copper,

i used my vice to flatten the copper and riveted it all together, next time I'm going to take my time and do a better job, this was just a rush job and to see if i could do it, I'm also going to use smaller pipe next time

I had to bend the copper on the left side to go over the newly fitted tank guard but still works you should be able to see it behind the copper in these pics

Also just a footnote

if you have a free imageshack account to change the image size when posting images without going premium look for the size in the link Eg -
xxxx://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/905/yaeAme.jpg
change it to Eg -
xxxx://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/905/yaeAme.jpg
or your desired resolution

Back