Losi Nightcrawler being absolutely gutless

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerwagon79

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Alright, so my friend Losi Night Crawler 2.0, which I have on loan, was given to him used, with no charger. He said I could use it some and see how the charger I bought for him worked. So, after the charger, a Supulse 7.4-11.v Lipo charger, came, I did what he said to do. I was very impressed by the unpopular crawler's flex and traction, but disappointed by it's truly pathetic power. I know they were not that powerful new, but this one can't even climb up a wall and flip over. Further more, the battery doesn't last long at all, only about ten minutes at most. Also, oddly, once the battery start to drain, and it can't climb anything going forwards, in reverse it is slower, yet can climb decently. Does it actually have a transmission with different gearing from drive to reverse? The steering is also not great, but I believe that they were all like that. I'm not sure whether the battery is bad or the charger is bad or what, I have zero Lipo experience.

Are you charging the battery to 4.2v per cell? Is the throttle trim centered on the Tx? I ran an RC one time thinking it wasn't all that fast. It was dark out, and when I got back inside I noticed the throttle trim was turned way down.

Is the drivetrain in a bind? Remove the pinion and turn the wheels or spur gear to see if you notice any binding anywhere.

Watch some vids, read some info, etc. Nobody should use LiPo's until they are educated.

Never run a LiPo below 3v per cell. Better to stay above 3.2v-3.6v just to be safe. When done running, storage charge the LiPo to 3.8v per cell. Never leave them fully charged or drained.

Are you charging the battery to 4.2v per cell? Is the throttle trim centered on the Tx? I ran an RC one time thinking it wasn't all that fast. It was dark out, and when I got back inside I noticed the throttle trim was turned way down.

Is the drivetrain in a bind? Remove the pinion and turn the wheels or spur gear to see if you notice any binding anywhere.

Watch some vids, read some info, etc. Nobody should use LiPo's until they are educated.

Never run a LiPo below 3v per cell. Better to stay above 3.2v-3.6v just to be safe. When done running, storage charge the LiPo to 3.8v per cell. Never leave them fully charged or drained.
I've watched many a video. I am educated, just not very experienced (which I suppose is half the battle;)) . I'll try what you said and see what happens.

Last edited:

^^ Couldn't have said it better! LiPo storage charge is somewhat variable, some people like down to 3.6v, while others do up to 3.8v for storage. I like ~3.75v. Choosing a higher storage voltage (<3.8v) will result in slightly faster charge times to max voltage (as there's slightly less mAh to full charge, so 3.8v-4.2v will be slightly faster than 3.6v-4.2v), but also a minor decrease in the life of the battery, so it may last a few charge cycles less than storage charging at 3.70v.

Back