Losi Baja Rey Steering Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66TotalPerf

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and really to RC trucks, as it's been many years since I've owned any RC vehicles, before picking up a Baja Rey 2.0 King Shocks edition last month.

So I've been driving my truck all over and just having fun when I decided to partially tear it down since I did some driving in water/rain. Once I got the cage off and reading more about issues with this truck, I decided to upgrade the servo to a Spektrum S6250 with Losi aluminum servo horn.

I finally got the truck back together, figured out from various Youtube videos how to properly set steering endpoints with my transmitter (stock DX2e), since the Losi truck manual isn't clear at all, and re-bound the receiver. Everything works great, except I now have to reverse the servo on the transmitter and the steering trim needs to be set at 9-o'clock to keep the wheels centered.

To fix having to switch the direction on the controller, can I simply switch the + and - wires in the plug going into the receiver? To get the steering closer to center without having to almost max-out my trim knob I'm considering getting an adjustable turnbuckle for the servo horn link (see photo of the stock plastic one) or installing a clamp style horn such as this one by Exotek. Does a clamp style servo horn offer more adjustability or is it the same as the Losi aluminum horn? Any other tips to correct these two issues?

Thanks!
Brent

Attachments

• Servo Horn 2.png
    Servo Horn 2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 448
  • Exotek Steering Horn.JPG
    Exotek Steering Horn.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 156
download manual page 3 shows how.

SERVO REVERSING​

If a right steering command does not result in the wheels
turning right (and vice versa), the channel may need to be
reversed. To reverse a channel, switch the position of the
correlating switch—"N" is for normal, "R" is for reverse. You
can use a small screwdriver to move the switch if necessary

SPEKTRUM DX2E USER MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

more info.. you will need to loosen servo horn and pull it off now switch the trim to a neutral position, change servo direction center servo horn and attach it turn radio off b4 last tighten.. turn back on and see horns location.. I have always run a servo saver no matter how Big (scale ) the rc is broken to many what I thought were good servos in my early days...

Hey tntpoof, thanks for the info! I should've further clarified. I have the steering switch reversed on my controller but I don't want to have it reversed, I want to change the wiring of the servo so that I can have the controller switch in normal; can I just switch the black and red (- & +) wires in the plug that plugs into the receiver without hurting the servo?

For the servo horn, I already followed those exact steps and the problem is that the perfectly centered location is in-between splines on the servo. I've tried the only two locations I can that are close to center and it results in either a lot of trim correction left or right.

What does a servo saver do?

well you can no just change wires around. its reverse or it will always work 180 degrees out.. might have given you wrong info .. so the servo maxes out steering linkage then servo makes noise?. it thats whats going on then you have to limit its sweep angle....
ok. so you either get another servo arm not same model..
a servo saver has a spring in it that takes the abuse a object you run into.so it dont kill or mess a servo up

from i net..A servo saver is a device, with a inner spring, that connects your steering rods to the servo output shaft. It absorbs driveline shock during normal driving and also provides protection in the event of a crash.The job of a servo saver is to protect the servo and so, in the event of a bad collision, it will provide stress relief if the need arises.

Hey tntpoof, thanks for the info! I should've further clarified. I have the steering switch reversed on my controller but I don't want to have it reversed, I want to change the wiring of the servo so that I can have the controller switch in normal; can I just switch the black and red (- & +) wires in the plug that plugs into the receiver without hurting the servo?

For the servo horn, I already followed those exact steps and the problem is that the perfectly centered location is in-between splines on the servo. I've tried the only two locations I can that are close to center and it results in either a lot of trim correction left or right.

What does a servo saver do?
The reverse switch is there for a reason USE it! Reversing the wires on the servo plug will cause nothing but problems later.

I understand that the reverse switch is there for a reason but I'm a builder/tinkerer/OCD/etc and just wanted to know if there's any harm in switching the two servo wiring pins, but it doesn't sound like servos work that way.

I did search google before asking what a servo saver is, but I still asked because I'm not certain I see how it'll help better align the wheels to be centered so that I don't have to almost max out my steering trim. Does it just offer many mounting locations for the horn link so I can fine tune the centering? I was considering installing an adjustable turnbuckle but with the small plastic link I circled above only being about an inch long, it doesn't seem like there are any that short.

Thanks!

Don't mess with the servo connector. Once you try and switch the pins around the connector is compromised. It will give you trouble later if you have to switch it back. Use the reverse switch center the servo the best you can and and center the wheels the best you can and make the adjustment from the servo saver linkage to the bell crank. Sometimes they never will be perfectly center. All that mattes is the trim on the radio is close to center and the wheels are straight. If your radio has EPA adjustment you can compensate the difference and max travel there.