Losi Baja Rey Black Rhino 1/10 stopped running after 4 runs.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truncated

RC Newbie
Reaction score
We just got a brand new Baja Rey Black Rhino and have been running it out of the box on 3s. On the last run the engine just stopped going. The steering still worked. Just no response when I hit the throttle. Freshly charged battery also. On a side note, I see a lot of threads about not running 3s but I am not sure if that applies to the 1/10 or just the super and 2.0. Are there any upgrades I should've done before running it? It is quite hard to find info on the web. Thanks!

3800kv not really a 3 cell motor. id say motor is cooked. Losi might say it will handle 3 cells but take it from someone that been in this hobby a long time that motor wont to high a kv..

3800kv not really a 3 cell motor. id say motor is cooked. Losi might say it will handle 3 cells but take it from someone that been in this hobby a long time that motor wont to high a kv..
Thanks I was actually going to message you after seeing you in a different thread. What a dumb thing to happen to something brand new!

its a selling catch..toss that bait out and let them swallow it then sell them the parts to fix it.call losi try to get a warranty of that motor just make sure you tell them you followed all what they said to do in 3 cell setup instructions

once you open it its yours the gaff is in
So I am not sure if it is the motor being burned out because I can turn it on and off and it will run for a minute before quitting

Double check that your esc isn't set on Nimh instead of lipo. My HW will do that if it's set up on Nimh. Don't ask me why it switched over but it has twice.
I used a program card to change it back.
@tntpoof , @WickedFog thats a question to you, why would it change over on me? My apologies for hijacking your thread @truncated but it could be info you could use also.

Double check that your esc isn't set on Nimh instead of lipo. My HW will do that if it's set up on Nimh. Don't ask me why it switched over but it has twice.
@tntpoof , @WickedFog thats a question to you, why would it change over on me? My apologies for hijacking your thread @truncated but it could be info you could use also.
No worries! I've read it's a real pain to get inside this thing. It should be a switch or something right? I don't see the setting on the programming table.

I only have one Hobbywing ESC now, and have never seen any ESC do that before. Very strange. But after talking with another guy that has tried to work with Hobbywing support on an issue, I don't think I will be buying any more. They basically blew him off on a potentially bad ESC.

Not familiar with with the Baja Rey, but if the motor isn't really designed for 3s, and you run it on 3s, like tnt said, it probably won't last long, if it isn't toast already. Just because it runs for a minute before dying doesn't mean the motor is good. It just means when the motor cools off, things inside go back within spec enough for it to run til it gets up to temp, and things go back out of spec.

I only have one Hobbywing ESC now, and have never seen any ESC do that before. Very strange. But after talking with another guy that has tried to work with Hobbywing support on an issue, I don't think I will be buying any more. They basically blew him off on a potentially bad ESC.

Not familiar with with the Baja Rey, but if the motor isn't really designed for 3s, and you run it on 3s, like tnt said, it probably won't last long, if it isn't toast already. Just because it runs for a minute before dying doesn't mean the motor is good. It just means when the motor cools off, things inside go back within spec enough for it to run til it gets up to temp, and things go back out of spec.
Yeah apparently my kid saw some thread on reddit that had like 2 upvotes that said you can run 3s no problem. FML.

Yeah apparently my kid saw some thread on reddit that had like 2 upvotes that said you can run 3s no problem. FML.

Says right on the website that it can handle 3s. This is on Losi if the motor is not really 3s compatible.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-4wd-brushless-rtr-with-smart/LOS03020V2.html

"The truck comes equipped with a Spektrum™ 3800Kv brushless motor and a brushless Spektrum™ Smart Firma™ 130A ESC. This potent combination can handle 2S or 3S LiPo batteries (sold separately) and will allow you to hurtle across the landscape at speeds of up to 50 mph."

Back