Looking to upgrade my tmax 3.3 #4909

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxRWBYxX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hey ya, I'm new here, and kinda new to the nitro trucks scene tho, i have had my truck for along time. So i thinks times have come to see about upgrades and such that can still be done to it being finding parts isnt easy and thought ya could help. First i have the t maxx model in the title, it may not be the best but hey i love it, so first its all stock, no upgrades *yet* but i do know it needs some tlc. It has the gray trans with the optidrive technology, i think thats a important fact for what i want. So i mostly want to beef up the suspension and put a bit bigger engine into it but i know the chassis can't handle it but I'm only looking to put a max of a .26-.28 maybe more then likely the .26 of os or lrp, but I'm not sure what ill need exactly to make it be able to handle that power, and or what suspension setup can make it put more power to the ground. i do wanna keep my reverse if all possible, i dont know if u can beef up the whole trans to be able to keep that and not strip it self out. I've ran about a gallon and a half through it so far and run it every day pretty much running a whole tank through it. So if ya can help, please give as much details as you can, and even help finding the parts ill need would be awsome!

Parts for that are easier to find than you might think. If you go about anywhere it's advertised as the T-Maxx classic. It comes with the 2.5R now, but chassis and suspension are the same. Rpm makes the best plastics, I'd go with the Tru-track rear kit with their arms up front. Lunsford makes titanium pins and pillow balls for it. I'm not sure about a big block kit for it but I believe OS still makes drop a drop in .26.

can you list places to get the parts and what is the .26 os engine drop in called and is the ofna .28 i think what special mounts does that take?

Personally I use towerhobbies.com to find parts. They have a "shop for parts" section that's really easy to use.
I think the engine I'm thinking of is the OS Maxx line. Someone with more T-Maxx experience will be around, I'm sure.

Oh, BTW welcome to RCNT!

Is this the ofna you were thinking of?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUNN

Last edited:
I have that engine in my revo. It's quite a bit stronger than the 3.3 it replaced. Back in the day, there were quite a few big block conversion chassis/kits for the t-maxx. Not so many these days. The picco 26 was the easiest power upgrade as well, but they are tough to find these days.
http://www.rc-trucks.org/ofna-picco-MAX21-tmaxx.htm

FLM had one, dynamite had one, racers edge had one, new era had one, XTM had one... probably a few others, but they don't exist anymore I don't think. Too bad too, now that Traxxas makes better diffs and slippers. 15 years ago, I had an XTM conversion and keeping the center axles, diffs and slipper/spur from grenading was more annoying than it was worth. Rarely made it through a weekend without one of them giving out on me. And that was with a tame OS 21RG!

I have an LRP28 in one of my revo's and that OS21TM in my other revo. The drive train (full rrp steel trans) holds up fine to the power. I replace the stock plastic center axles maybe once a year on my BB revo. I did upgrade to a 1/8th clutch (HPI Savage Alloy) in the LRP revo though. I'm running a dynamite long life set of shoes in the 21TM revo now, haven't run it yet though with those shoes. Ran integy 7075 in it last year and they were worn out after a gallon or so of run time (which included break-in) with the 21Tm.

I replace the stock plastic center axles maybe once a year on my BB revo. I did upgrade to a 1/8th clutch (HPI Savage Alloy) in the LRP revo though.
Is ain't there any aftermarket center axles? What clutch did you upgrade to (part nr, link)?

There are aftermarket steel centers for the E-Revo, but I've only ever seen one company that had them for the 3.3. Vantage Racing, and finding their stuff anymore.....:rolleyes:

Is ain't there any aftermarket center axles? What clutch did you upgrade to (part nr, link)?

Well, on my big block (LRP28) revo, since it has stock sliders for centers, I moved the trans 1/4" forward so I could use an 1/8th scale clutch/flywheel/bell on it as I got pretty tired of dealing with 1/10th scale clutches frying on me. To move the trans, I elongated the 4 mounting holes and ground a bit of the chassis so the brake calipers didn't hit anything. The sliders had enough movement in them to allow this without doing anything to them.

On my OS21TM revo, I bought it used and it came with MIP shiny center axles for the 3.3 chassis, so I can't slide the trans forward on it without replacing the centers with stock. However, since the 3.3 I had and OS21TM I have in it now don't have near the torque of the LRP, I'm just trying to find alloy 1/10 shoes that will do a decent job and not fry on me. Right now, I'm running dynamite long life alloy shoes in it. I've only run one tank with those, but they seem to hook up pretty well. Will see how they do as I run it more this season. Guessing they would work fine in a t-maxx too:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars...raxxas-clutch-shoe-spring-set-dynp5184/p25535