looking to upgrade ESC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hans1128dog

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Boating
I run in pretty restrictive Spec Slash Class at my local track and I'm looking for more speed. To start I have the box standard 2wd Slash no upgrades yet. The rules sheet says to run Box Stock so I would say that gearing is out but I can run a 2S 7.4V 80C battery. Right now I have a Venom 50C battery on order. So the question is: What else do I need to upgrade? The rules sheet says that I can run the VXL-3s ESC. Is this something that I need to do to support the 50C battery?

No need for vxl unless you want to go brushless.. with the 2 cell you will find your top speed is lower with 12 T titan.. id check on gear changes.. how old is brushed motor? can you look in can and see how much the brushes have worn?. have you done a proper break in with a brushed motor? back in my day it was pull motor along with pinion and put on a cup of anti freeze with a D cell attached and let it run till almost entire battery was dead. the install and go run it hard as you want.

Never even considered having to break-in the motor. The truck is about a year old.

get a new motor do as I said. you will see a little advantage and a longer life motor that motor you have is on its last micro amount of brush .and there's no way to rebuild it once its brushes are gone. I raced a 1000 lap stock slash all day event. my team got second. I put down 283 laps in my times it was a carpet off road with a 26 foot across table top..no tire prep no motor sauce..servo and battery along with shock oil was only allowed change .along with tires.max mah was 5000

Are there vids out there that show how to tear apart the motors and inspect the brushes? I am more of a weekend runner, and have been out of country for most of that year. Are the Traxxas motors worth rebuilding out just totally replace?

Are there vids out there that show how to tear apart the motors and inspect the brushes? I am more of a weekend runner, and have been out of country for most of that year. Are the Traxxas motors worth rebuilding out just totally replace?
the Titan 12T motor is a POS and it can not be rebuilt. IDK what the rules are of your class that your racing in so i dont even know where to start suggesting anything. If you can run a VXL3 ESC does that mean you can run a brushless motor?

Looking at the rules sheet just now it calls out using only the stock motor. If the stock motor is such 'junk' how often to you think I should replace the motor?

Looking at the rules sheet just now it calls out using only the stock motor. If the stock motor is such 'junk' how often to you think I should replace the motor?
Do you have to use the stock brushed motor or can you use the stock brushless motor? If you can use the stock brushless ESC and motor then Id upgrade to VXL3 brushless esc and motor combo. I'm assuming if you can use the stock brushless ESC then I'm assuming you can use the stock brushless motor too

The 12 Titan. is a fine motor. its a sealed can motor ..I've already said motor brushes can not be replaced.. you have to look thru the vent holes in can with a flashlight to see wear on brushes. I ran a 12 titan aka power twist for the max of about 500 minutes of run time.99% races .sure there was a slight amount of practice in there..The method to break in motor is as I said, not sure you will find a youtube vid to watch.you will have to re-lube motor bushing after break in.in my days that was many many years I've seen guys run a 6-7 minute race..get done .pull battery slap it on a charger go marshal come back. pull ran motor and completely rebuild it..new rushes . sand com.oil motor put on dyno shim com till he got the #s he wanted .go rave another heat. he never stepped on the podium as he never finished a main (mostly due to him crashing)..there are a few things you can do to make your slash faster as long as your skills are there..1 is what I said .A good set of bearing thru out. from trans to axels will gain you seconds on any track...

The Titan 12T might be ok for the money but they are notorious for having very short lifespans. Some people get em to last a year but a lot of people say theirs died in a matter of months if not weeks. If you have no other choice but to run that exact motor then it is what it is.

The Titan 12T might be ok for the money but they are notorious for having very short lifespans. Some people get em to last a year but a lot of people say theirs died in a matter of months if not weeks. If you have no other choice but to run that exact motor then it is what it is.
I've heard the same short lifetime about the 12 turn Titans
But my experience since January of this year I have went through two of the VXL motors and two ESC
The Velineon 540/550 can on 3s I got the truck in January on the 8th battery I broke a right side front drive shaft but even after taking it apart and drying it by hand because I played with it in the snow the ESC overheated when I sent it to Traxxas to be diagnosed they told me there was rust in the motor and that's what caused the speed control to overheat
Neither one of the heat protection shut down worked
And Traxxas was pretty clear that their waterproof system does not mean rust proof so 33 days after I got my truck home the warranty was voided dude what they said was a bad motor I put just a cheap 4370 kv Leopard ESC and I've not had any problems I'm running 15 tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur
And the temps average 125 or lower and that's constant running not hammering on it but driving it on hardpack I also put the nine turn leopard motor on it with a 19 tooth high speed pinion that came with it and then the
Do you have to use the stock brushed motor or can you use the stock brushless motor? If you can use the stock brushless ESC and motor then Id upgrade to VXL3 brushless esc and motor combo. I'm assuming if you can use the stock brushless ESC then I'm assuming you can use the stock brushless motor too

get up about 140
So have you ever heard of rust in a brushless motor causing havoc in any of the other systems?
the Titan 12T motor is a POS and it can not be rebuilt. IDK what the rules are of your class that your racing in so i dont even know where to start suggesting anything. If you can run a VXL3 ESC does that mean you can run a brushless motor?
I live in Michigan in January of this year I bought a VXL Traxxas Slash 4x4 I read the manual and did the best I could about taking it apart cleaning everything up and drying it out after I played with it in the snow
Just after the electronics warranty expired the speed control burnt up
At that point I had only ever put the 19 tooth high speed pinion on once and did four speed runs on the road out in front of the house
Otherwise it was set up with a 15-tooth pinion and 54 tooth spur gear and the temperatures were between 75 and 95°, both the speed control and motor have a fan on them
90% of where I drive is on a paved bike trail
I get to the park pick my truck out put it on the ground and I bet it does not go 20 ft before it's smoked the ESC because it was just out of the warranty I sent the motor and ESC back to Traxxas they tell me that there was a little rust inside the brushless motor and that's what caused the ESE to overheat without using either one of the thermal protections
And that I'd have to replace the speed control and the motor but because they have the Traxxas always return policy it's only 55 bucks for the ESC and 65 bucks for the motor after I send mine back in
Just out of curiosity I had bought one of the brushless leopard ESC and motor combo from Amazon a 9 turn 550 can with a 4370 KV ESC
I have not had any problem with that setup other than I can feel a micro delay in the throttle I just reordered the VXL speed control I hope I have better luck with this one but since I'm relatively new to the RC world I wanted to ask somebody for their opinion just to make sure I don't overlook something and burn up this other speed control
The Traxxas tech on the phone told me waterproof does not mean rust proof
I did rebuild the VXL velineon motor I did not see any rust inside it but I did new bearings and bushing just to know it was new
Right now I got the velineon 540/550 with a 15 tooth pinion and 54 spur gear The temperature outside was 87° and with that setup my truck never got hotter than 125°
I also got the motor that came with the speed control that's a nine turn 4370 KV and on that is a 19 tooth pinion
After 5:00 or 6 high speed runs the temp gets to about 1:45° and that also was a 80° day I guess one of my main questions would be because I am using the 4370 leopard speed control which is just a little bit bigger than the vxl3 as far as KV so would that help the system run cooler cooler?
And what do you think about rust and a brushless motor causing the speed control to overheat?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm new to this forum I did try to look through some of the history to find an answer before I ask but I did not see anything related to what I'm dealing with or got questions about so thank you

Last edited:
The first thing Ill say is the Velineon electronics are garbage. Having said that the Velineon brushless motor is actually better today than it was say 8-12 years ago. I dont buy a lot of Traxxas kits but when I do I generally yank the Velineon electronics, sell them, and buy my own electronics to use. I actually do that with a lot of RTR kits. Depends on what they are. Like the Firma ESCs and motors are decent for RTR electronics so Ill run the piss out of em until they give out and then Ill buy After market stuff to replace it. If they dont give out then its just a bonus. Their electronics for their big kits like the EMaxx, EREVO, XO-1 etc back when they were rebranded Castle products were great but I dont believe Castle still makes their big electronics anymore.

As for rust in the motor... First I'll start off by saying theres no such thing as a waterproof motor. Water will always find ways inside. Especially as the motor is cooling off the difference in temp between inside the can and outside can cause condensation to form inside the motor so if you ever run your kits and they get really wet, you need to take the motor apart as soon as its cool enough and make sure you take an air compressor or hair dryer, something and make sure all the water is blown out/dried up and then lightly oil the inside of the motor especially the bearings. If rust was to get into the motor, especially the bearings it can cause the motor to have to work harder to turn, that in turn causes a higher amp draw through the ESC which can possibly burn it out if its already running close to max anyway, which a Velineon system on 3S is.