Looking to convert nitro to electric,,

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadPlumbarian

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I’ve been so out of it for so long, but I want to get back into it, I originally had an old antique chain drive 4wd / 4ws that I wanted to rebuild but then I came up with an idea, I have an old 1/8 scale nitro that I barely ever used, all because I kept having too many problems with the engine, so I fig why not convert it over to electric? So I started looking it up, thus why I signed up on here! Anyway here’s the buggy I want to convert along with the chain drive I want to rebuild,,
JR

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3005.jpeg

I've been down this road, I bought Project21 from TheJANG who hosted URC over a decade ago. I spent way more money doing the conversion than if I simply bought a kit in the first place, I even went so far as to invest in my own CNC so I could mill one a kind custom parts!

If you want to save yourself the frustration and a lot of money, put the car on the shelf and go buy a new kit, you can thank me later ;)

What ☝️ said.
I too have been down that road. I converted a T-Maxx to electric.
Unless the car has sentimental value and will be worthy of the conversion, do yourself a favor, sell it and use whatever you get to get a new car.

What’s needed to convert? I can’t just make a special motor mount and then put in a motor and speed control?
JR

What’s needed to convert? I can’t just make a special motor mount and then put in a motor and speed control?
JR

If you don't know what is needed, then you're already too far behind the curve... not trying to be mean but you haven't even told us what you have... Integy has a limited selection of nitro conversion kits and you might get lucky there, but you're about 10 years behind the nitro conversion fad, that ship has sailed.

More than likely you're going to need to make custom parts and/or dill holes in your chassis to make some other random mount fit, then you're going to have scour the net for compatible drive shafts, battery tray conversion, etc...

You need to put in all the hard work, or try to find some random thread of someone who shared all their parts they sourced to do a conversion of the same vehicle you own.

Just know that you're gonna spend way more money on this conversion than you realize.

Good Luck!

I had to convert the two speed tranny to a gear box and take out the reverse. Then came the upgrades to the receiver box and then adding a battery holder, then going through the diffs.
It always seems easy until you do it.

Back