Looking to Buy First Electric RC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabskee

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey friends,

I'm looking to pick up my first Electric RC, I've narrowed 3 trucks down that i think will suite my needs. Rustler VXL, Stampede VXL or HPI E-firestorm Flux Brushless. All within $270 - $300, Curious what thoughts are on the 3 trucks and what one would serve me best. I intend to use it for some bashing, I dont race, Looking for a good FAST off road truck.

As well Looking at prices on batteries, I'm not sure I have the money this upcoming friday to pick up LiPo's. I'm looking for 2 batteries with a combined price of around $120 or less. What batteries for the mentioned price would give me the best top speeds and performance? If you guys could post links that would be great.

Best Regards,
Adam

Strictly a basher... I'd go with the Stampede. More ground clearance will broaden your range of surfaces (better in grass).

I'm a fan of Intellect cells.

I'm not familiar with the battery layout on that truck so I cannot really recommend a specific battery pack. Check out www.amainhobbies.com or other popular retailers and lookup Trinity batteries then watch for the blue packs (those are Intellect cells). Amain has some pretty good deals right now on 6 and 7 cell packs (under $50)

Well I'm looking at
Trinity IB4600SHV 7 Cell Side x Side Battery Pack w/iPlug Connector (8.4V/4600mAh)
This looks like a Good deal for about 50 bucks, Looking at the below chart provided by traxxas is it correct of me to assume about 45mph? Curious what would general runtime on a battery like this be?

stampede_speed_chart.jpg

Does more mah, Mean longer run time, and more Voltage make more power? Please enlighten me
Also looking at this chart what If i used a Gearing setup of 26/86 or 30/83 with this pack, would it also make it faster or would i need more powerful batteries?

Last edited:
With the alternate gearing on a 7c nimh. you will probably see around 40mph. 45max. And id have to guess about 10-15 minute runtime. I'd go with a single lipo to start with. You will get better speeds, and much longer runtimes than the nimh.

That was kind of my thought, though I figured maybe 2 NiMh would have longer runtime then 1 lipo. Curious what if i ran a (11.1V/2000mAh) liPo? Would this still outrun the NiMh in performance and runtime? Do you have any suggestions on batteries?

With a 2000mah, you will only get a few minutes..... look into a 4000+. If you get like a 5000 mah lipo, 3s or 2s, you would get close to the runtime of 2 nimh IMO. If its your first BL rig...... id go with a 2s to start.... 3s is a lil crazy. Hell of a lot faster than a nitro.

Yikes In total a good Electric rig costs more then a Nitro, For the price of a good lipo battery I could just buy a Slash lol almost. Maybe ill just stick with Nitro, or a Less expensive option like a slash. With a Shat Load of NiMh at hand.

Well, to get started up, electric costs more, but not much. In the long run it's cheaper. You don't have to keep buying fuel, after run oil, etc.

BL electric is very expensive start up, but well worth it. More power, faster, virtually no maintinence.........

+1 on the no maintenance! You might have to pay a bit more at first but as was said, you don't have to buy a lot fuel glowplugs, glow plug ignitors, starters or After Run Oil. I'd go with a single good LiPO rather than a pair of NiMH packs.

Yeah I'm getting very sick of maintaining my nitro. Seems like every time i take it out I ruin something new. I spend more time repairing it then driving it these days. Yet I can't image a truck without that mystical nitro sound.

maybe ill put my Slayer up for sale on the forums and locally, Its in like new condition, Upgraded anodized GTR Shocks, 5 or 6 extra spur gears, approx $150 of spare parts. Carbon Fiber disc brake. Only thing it really needs is a Carb Body ($18) and Maybe a new cover, the current cover is a little worn. The TRX only has 3 or so gallons through it, and replaced all gaskets and bolts at about 3 gallons. If i could sell it I could get well setup with a nice LiPo truck.

Back