Looking to buy either an associated MGT 8.0 or a Savage xl 5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxcaliberxX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to hobby rc's. I grew up with the radio shack quality cars due to lots of kids and little money. I recently bought an associated 18mt, which I quickly hoped up to a mamba competition x and went all aluminum/titanium.
I want to start getting into nitro 1/8 scale mt's. I have narrowed it down to 2 that I like. Either the associated mgt 8.0 (If the 18 mt is a reflection of the quality of this truck it will be sweet) or the hpi savage xl 5.9.
If anyone has any pointers or tips on what they would get and why it would be very appreciated.

i would go with the mgt 8.0 cause it has a little more durabilty and power

I have heard that the mgt 8.0 has a much more powerful engine, but I've heard that over all the Savage as a whole is built more solid. Can anyone help confirm or deny this? I'm sure the savage xl 5.9 is still pretty new and has less of a track record, but I'm willing to be one of the "piggies" to test it out on, if It ends up being the truck of choice. Also, after Hoping them both up as far as they go, which one will be the best truck in the end?

I have an MGT 8.0 and it is some serious hardware. I love it.
Having said that I have an XL on order, (they're not available till mid April) but I would have to believe the new Savage will be every bit as tough as the old one, with more power.
So yeah....... Anyway. Good luck.

From everything that I have seen, the test that I have read (I know..no bad reviews..:LoL:) The 8.0 seems like a slam dunk..Especially when you look at the price..$509 at A main..Comes with a nice radio (FM..nice one to) and good metal geared servos, It looks like the deal IMO..

Another great truck to look at that is around the same size of both of those is the XTM Monster MT. I own the truck and i have been very impressed so far with it. It can take a beating, and if anything gets broken that isnt you fault you can contact the support staff on the Global forum and they will send you out the new parts. I broke a cvd and shredded a diff because of a Manufacturer error and i contacted them and they sent me a free set of diffs and the new cvd's.

Gotta be impressed with that ricer. I didnt get any manuals with my GT 8.0 but I emailed Associated and they sent them all straight out, no questions, but DIFFS. I wouldnt hold my breath for that.
I would still go the 8.0 It has impressed even the M/T and Associated knockers. It is one hell of a rig.

same size but great deal is the xtm monster mt, no idea what reliability or quality is like but it comes with fm radio, was thinking about getting on at rcx for $349, normally 399

The MTA4 is IDENTICAL to the 8.0 except it has a 28 in it. If you can find one the MTA4 S50 has the 8.0 in it. But you'll find they MGT 8 and the MTA4 S50 are about the same price. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
The MTA4 with the 28 still goes hard but once you've driven the 8 you'll want a second.

Was in your shoes.

I was in your shoe's debating which one to get. I also grew up with the Team AE products. But havent been into RC's for over 6 years and finally ended up with the HPI XL. What sold me was the availablity of both stock and after market parts located at the store, reputation, and web site.

Thanks for that advice everyone. I am thinking to go with the Savage. It just looks more fun and I have heard that the 8.0 is great for torque but that the engine is so big that you lose all your speed. Is this true? Thanks.

No thats not true. The 8.0 hauls really well and DOES outrun the savage, (4.6) and considering the weight of the truck anyone that sees a well tuned MGT 8.0 will be impressed. I believe, and I can't back this up with facts, that the 8.0 WILL be faster than the 5.9 in the XL. Personally I dont think the 5.9 will be FASTER than the 4.6, because I think that extra mill size will be compensating for the extra weight only.

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to hobby rc's. I grew up with the radio shack quality cars due to lots of kids and little money. I recently bought an associated 18mt, which I quickly hoped up to a mamba competition x and went all aluminum/titanium.
I want to start getting into nitro 1/8 scale mt's. I have narrowed it down to 2 that I like. Either the associated mgt 8.0 (If the 18 mt is a reflection of the quality of this truck it will be sweet) or the hpi savage xl 5.9.
If anyone has any pointers or tips on what they would get and why it would be very appreciated.

If you opt for the 8.0 you should expect to be wrenching right away.
Known issues:
Engine Heat: go ahead and buy the Nova cooling head
Clutch: high maintenance, doesn't last long - upgrade required
Customer service: I find then lacking
Tires: Too tall and soft, lots of side wall flex
Engine bearings: early failures, could be related to Engine heat, not sure