Looking for a new receiver

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjiRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Second traxxas Tq receiver just went bad. This time I've been using a shortened antenna but the metal sheath still managed to get bent up inside the blue antenna tube somehow so I'm most likely done with wired antennas. My budget is around $40 if wireless is out of that range just recommended some nice wired options. I'm still using the original Tq transmitter that came with my brushed slash 5 years ago so that might need an upgrade too.

You can only use Traxxas TQ receivers with the TQ radio. Radio and receivers are brand specific
If you want a new radio you need a receiver from that brand that can bind up.
Most receivers still have antennas. Some high end ones like futaba and Sanwa do have micro /.mini receivers, and antenna less, but there like 90 to 130 bucks just for a receiver. And they can only hook up to that futaba or Sanwa radio like I mentioned. It's all brand specific. I think Flysky has a antenna less receiver but not sure.
I'm waiting for RadioLink to make a antenna less receiver for my race stuff for being small and compact chasiss, to link up to my RC8X. But it will take a while. I need a micro and antenna less receiver for my mini b.

Last edited:
You can only use Traxxas TQ receivers with the TQ radio. Radio and receivers are brand specific
If you want a new radio you need a receiver from that brand that can bind up.
Most receivers still have antennas. Some high end ones like futaba and Sanwa do have micro /.mini receivers, and antenna less, but there like 90 to 130 bucks just for a receiver. And they can only hook up to that futaba or Sanwa radio like I mentioned. It's all brand specific. I think Flysky has a antenna less receiver but not sure.
I'm waiting for RadioLink to make a antenna less receiver for my race stuff for being small and compact chasiss, to link up to my RC8X. But it will take a while. I need a micro and antenna less receiver for my mini b.
Alright for me it sounds like ill stick to wired until wireless becomes more common in the future. Do you have any experience with the TQi setup from traxxas? That would probably be the most simple upgrade for my build.

Alright for me it sounds like ill stick to wired until wireless becomes more common in the future. Do you have any experience with the TQi setup from traxxas? That would probably be the most simple upgrade for my build.
IMO the TQI and TQ are the same and not worth it as they are overpriced. The difference between the TQ and a TQI is that you get two more dials or buttons with the TQI you have to pay another 40 some bucks for the Bluetooth link the adjust anything else for the phone. It is best to just upgrade the whole radio system to either a RadioLink, FlySky as budget radio systems. If you want it higher end there is Futaba and Sanwa.
RadioLink RC6GS/ RC4GS V3
FlySky GT3 series
FlySky GT5
FlySky GP7
Dumbo RC X4/X6
All of those are budget systems.
If you want something a little higher end(mid range)
Radiolink RC8X
Futaba 4PM
Futaba 4PV
Sanwa MT series.
FlySky NB4 / Pro
And the high end ones
Futaba 7PXR
Futaba 10PX
Sanwa M17

Last edited:
I am a fan of Traxxas rigs but I hate their electronics. I would go with a Flysky system. There is a couple really nice budget systems that that make.

Just got a flysky gt5 and am liking it. Coming from one who had 2 or 3 different 2.4 radios, and 4 or 5 am radios all traxxas, for around the same price as the traxxas tqi stuff, there are better options.

I'm very happy with the flysky stuff for the price. I use the GT5 and have 10 cars bound to it. No problems so far but I will say the range is somewhat short. I lose signal around 200-250 yards but I rarely get out that far so not a big deal. Probably receiver issue anyway.

I do have several sets of new or like new TQIs I'd sell cheap if your interested, just pm me.

Second traxxas Tq receiver just went bad. This time I've been using a shortened antenna but the metal sheath still managed to get bent up inside the blue antenna tube somehow so I'm most likely done with wired antennas. My budget is around $40 if wireless is out of that range just recommended some nice wired options. I'm still using the original Tq transmitter that came with my brushed slash 5 years ago so that might need an upgrade t
IMO the TQI and TQ are the same and not worth it as they are overpriced. The difference between the TQ and a TQI is that you get two more dials or buttons with the TQI you have to pay another 40 some bucks for the Bluetooth link the adjust anything else for the phone. It is best to just upgrade the whole radio system to either a RadioLink, FlySky as budget radio systems. If you want it higher end there is Futaba and Sanwa.
RadioLink RC6GS/ RC4GS V3
FlySky GT3 series
FlySky GT5
FlySky GP7
Dumbo RC X4/X6
All of those are budget systems.
If you want something a little higher end(mid range)
Radiolink RC8X
Futaba 4PM
Futaba 4PV
Sanwa MT series.
FlySky NB4 / Pro
And the high end ones
Futaba 7PXR
Futaba 10PX
Sanwa M17
Wow i was expecting the transmitters and receivers were going to be $40 each not together those recommendations are awesome. I'm definitely eyeing up the gt3/gt5 alot of people here seem to like it too

Wow i was expecting the transmitters and receivers were going to be $40 each not together those recommendations are awesome. I'm definitely eyeing up the gt3/gt5 alot of people here seem to like it too
Yea Traxxas receivers are quite expensive for what they are. But yet anything Traxxas makes, they overprice it anyways. RadioLink and FlySky depending which receivers you get are like 15 to 25 bucks. I seen FlySky ones cheaper than that. Higher end ones like Sanwa and futaba are 50 plus but those are the high end ones.

The FS G7P looks good too. Same $ as the GT5 but has a bigger display screen. Looks pretty similar otherwise.

Flysky GT5, i never looked back, its perfect for small budget, i love mine. its also perfect for entry level RC hobbyists.

Back