LHS Sucks!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just want to vent about one of the LHS here in Milwaukee. There is this store that has been around for quite some time. 10 – 15 years ago, I used to go there all the time, and every time I went there, the owner would give me a hard time about everything and anything. I chalked it up to me being a young guy, and maybe this guy did not like kids. Now I am 36, and recently got back into the hobby. So I started going back to this store, and the same guy is still giving me hard time every time I go in there. The store is a good size, and he has a lot of cool stuff. New and used RC’s and a lot of newer and older models. I like to go there and just look around, but this guy will not let you do this. He will follow you and he does not leave you alone. Today I had some time to kill, and decided to go there and browse. When I walked in, he asked me if I needed anything, I told him no, I was just there to kill time. So I went to the RC isle, and within 30 seconds, there he is asking what I need. After telling him, nothing in particular, I said well maybe a 3 speed Trans for my Savage. He asks “what do I want that for?” I said no particular reason, I just think they are cool. He then proceeds to tell me everything he knows about gearing, 2 stroke timing, shimming a cylinder head, 2 stroke fuel, and how he has the worlds fastest Savage, and I will never get mine to go faster with the 3 speed. Then he asks me where I buy my RC stuff from (every time I’m there he asks this, and then he goes into his rant) I told him some stuff from him, and some stuff from the internet, and some stuff from other LHS. Well then he gives me a hard time for not buying everything from him, and I need to support his store. He supports the hobby by going out every weekend and setting land speed records. He says the next event is sometime next month. I was slightly interested in seeing his record setting savage, so I asked what day next month this event is, he then tells me it is by private invitation only. So while this is going on, he is now looking for a 3 speed Trans for me. He does not have any in stock, and he makes a phone call to his “warehouse” As he is on the phone, he asks me if I want the whole trans assembly, or just the gears. I told him I was not sure, he raises his voice and is persistent to get me to commit to one or the other. I said, check to see if they have both. He finds out they do have both, and he can have it for me by the next day. I then asked how much? And he tells me the whole assembly is $125.00 and the gears are $80.00. I told him I was not interested, and he starts laughing to the person on the phone, and says like a smart a$$ “He changed his mind after I did all this for him” I just smiled, and said thanks for the information, and started to walk out. He then follows me and he is still talking to me, and he is asking me how much I know about cars, and engines. I said not that much (I have been working at New car dealership as a Technician, a Service Writer, and Service Manager for most of my life) Well then he enlightens me with his wealth of knowledge. Every time I go there there I walk out pi$$ed offed!! The last time I was there, I bought bearings to do the steering mod to my Savage. He had the size I needed, but then wanted to charge me $8.00 for each bearing. I told him to forget it. This guy is such a jerk, I am amazed at how he stays in business?? There is another LHS within 10 miles, and every time I go there, they are stupid busy. Every time I am at his store, I am the only one there. I just don’t understand. When I try to spend money there, he tells me why I should not spend money with him, then belittles you for not buying from him!!! Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Good Lord man!!! This guy has to be either ubber rich and don't give a $#*t or he is just dumb as hell... First of all, I would nonchalantly flip out the cash some how to let him see it's in my wallet and then when he starts his crap, I tell him "thank you, I think I don't need to spend my money here. I think it's best to go to the store that has the most customers... it would be worth the wait in line from some people who care about thier customers instead of discuraging them from buying anything they have, Good Freakin' bye!"

Sorry but after reading your rant it got me boiling too! I have ran into people like this as well and makes me wonder if they care to sell thier stuff or not.

I have 3 shops within 10-15 miles.The closest one the owner is such a jerk I just don't go there anymore.He acts like the guy your discribing.I really wanted to say something to him last time but I figured if I really needed something and he had it it would piss me off even worse because he probably would not let me back there when I was done so I will only shop there as a last resort.I have not had to yet and hope I don't.Its a hobby shop are you not suppose to be able to look around.Thats how I end up buying half the crap I get because I was just browsing and I saw something.

There I feel better now too.

I think I have the country's best HobbyTown USA here in Knoxville. I was just there again today. Everyone knows me by name, everyone is friendly, even to the jerk customers, and I've NEVER been irritated even slightly, for any reason there. If they have choices they explain the differences and I go for the best, if they don't have it they'll order it and then call me in 2 or 3 days that it's in. If it's an item they don't stock, but I need it, they'll order it if their supplier carries it. I drop a wad in that place and I do whatever I can to make sure I support them.
If they weren't there and I had to buy everything on the internet, I'd be out of this hobby.
I'm really sorry to hear that you have to deal with total dorks when it comes to the things you enjoy the most.

Owww! I feel good....du de du da du.....:p:

Last edited:
There also is a Hobby Town USA near me, and yes they are good also with their customer service. On one ocassion, the guy from the other store asked me where I purchased a RC boat, and I told him Hobby Town USA, you should of heard this guy go on and on about how horrible they are, and I should never buy anything from them because they don't promote the hobby. I just dont understand this guy??

does setting land speed records really support the hobby ?? or is he just trying to impress someone ?? i would have asked to be invited ... i bet he would have choked !! lol

I would ask to see the magazines his Savage was featured in. There's just no way he would be doing that without magazine features documenting it. If there's any truth at all to his story, he'd have copies in the store or the articles tacked to the wall. Personally, I think he's more BS than business.

He also told me he does not share his "speed" secrets with anyone on the internet, and the information on the internet is all garbage.

I almost forgot.....he told me his "world record" speed with his Savage is 80 MPH

I almost forgot.....he told me his "world record" speed with his Savage is 80 MPH

Yeah... that was after he "ordered" it from his "warehouse" and had it in the trunk of his datsun on the freeway to get home and figure out how to put it together... what a clown.

I had a guy similar to that in a hobbytown. If that store had been the first I stepped in, I'd have never bought an RC. Just a general idiot who wanted to make sure everyone was well aware that they knew far less than he did.

They went out of business and another one opened up 6 blocks from it. But, they also have an idiot at the tiller...

I do have one hobby town that I really enjoy going to. It's a big place (at least for me) with rows and rows of parts for all hobbies. Not just RC. The guy that runs it likes to talk, but it's the kind of talk you want to be part of. Doesn't pressure you, asks if he can help, doesn't act like he knows it all and will be the first to admit that he knows he doesn't.

I don't have a store that's not more than an hour away from me. So when I do go, it's nice to know that I won't go away any more annoyed than I showed up. Usually much less annoyed after seeing all the nice RC's he has lined up for you to look at. ;)

I've been doing this RC thing for almost 8 years. I'm by know means an expert and I still learn things all the time. I don't guy why these guys act like you should be bowing at their feet...

I think I have the country's best HobbyTown USA here in Knoxville. I was just there again today. Everyone knows me by name, everyone is friendly, even to the jerk customers, and I've NEVER been irritated even slightly, for any reason there. If they have choices they explain the differences and I go for the best, if they don't have it they'll order it and then call me in 2 or 3 days that it's in. If it's an item they don't stock, but I need it, they'll order it if their supplier carries it. I drop a wad in that place and I do whatever I can to make sure I support them.
If they weren't there and I had to buy everything on the internet, I'd be out of this hobby.
I'm really sorry to hear that you have to deal with total dorks when it comes to the things you enjoy the most.

Are you sure you don't go to the HobyTown USA here? The owners are super nice, to the point of being sappy. The guys that know there stuff can be a little stiff sometimes (probably cause I was a newbie), Now that I've been there several times, even they are starting to loosen up a bit. They host road races a couple times a month in the strip-mall parking lot on Sunday mornings when the lot is empty. Stores like that promote the hobby, not a douche like Byron had to deal with.

Wow what a jackass. I don't see how he has stayed in business that long with that attitude. I guess sucking in the noobs with his huge expansion of knowledge right? lol

I worked at a local hobby shop with a guy that is a carbon copy of that attitude. He also has a motto that goes along the lines of "if it has less than 4 wheels, flies, or floats, don't bother me with it".

Shops with that kind of attitude don't last very long.

does setting land speed records really support the hobby ?? or is he just trying to impress someone ?? i would have asked to be invited ... i bet he would have choked !! lol

you know I never thought of that but damn! you probably right :D

Oh ya, the nearest one to me is like 1 minute away lol up the hill. But, theres like 5 guys that work there, one guy Richard! Soo rood, i call him on the phone just to ask if they have something instock instead of me coming up, No come in I'm busy i dont have time to answer you. Ok w.e The other guys easily will go check for me. I hate him. Plus hes an idiot he conected a wire for me long time ago and he put the positive with negative and neg with pos. I'm like uhhhh isnt that ognna blowup? Hes like. hmmm good point, yepp ur right.
Stupid retard
Anyway ya i think there everywhere

I am sorry to say this, but this is why I buy most of my stuff from the internet from places like Tower, A Main, and RC Planet, and only go to the LHS as a last resort, people like that should be bared from owning anything RC let alone owning or working at a hobby shop, JMO...

There is another LHS within 10 miles, and every time I go there, they are stupid busy. Every time I am at his store, I am the only one there.

That pretty much lays out the whole thing. Although it might seem inconvenient to go to the other shop because it's busy, it's most likely busy because it's a better place. Better service. Better prices. Better people. His shop is not busy because he's a tool, and eventually people will migrate away from tools. Go to the other shop. Wait in line. Take an extra half hour getting your bearings. And know that even though it took a little longer, you're getting better service and helping one of the good guys stay in business.