LHS or Inet

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgdeelux

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm a RC noob looking to buy my second RC Nitro. I see many deals on the Internet that look good but having almost zero experience with buying RTR's and parts leaves me wondering if I wouldn't just be better off buying from a local shop and taking the price hit.

Online is great for getting rigs if your dealer can't or won't come down a little on the price. The advantage of buying from your LHS is a better level of service after the sale. He is apt to be more helpful and maybe even give you a small break on parts and/or service on something he sold you vs. something you bought online.

I always say support your LHS if you have one as he won't be around for long without customers supporting his business.

I will be completely honest with you: I split my business 50/50 between my LHS and online...

Last edited:
rc addict is right

my LHS is more nitro so if i want or need anything nitro i go there
but any thing elc. i hit the net b/c he dont have much to pick from

My LHS are worthless for customer support after the sale. if a part fails they say to take it up with the manufactuer. i still support the guy though.
Make a list of vehicles that interest you, tell us what you want to be able to do with it and we'll point you in the right direction....and save you a lot of money.

support ur lhs with nitros see how there support is tho

Well, it depends... if your LHS isn't really helpful and they are gouging you on the price, then I say go online and use forums like this for support.

If they aren't really helpful and their price is a hair over what you'd pay online + shipping, then I'd go to the LHS just to help them out. You don't want your source of fuel and quick parts availability to go out of business, so shucking up a few extra bucks to try and help keep them around may pay off in the long run.

One of my LHS's is pretty new (year or so) and completely useless for help, but they are nice guys that will order anything I ask for without hesitation. Usually when I order something, they ask if it's a common item. If I say it is, they buy two and add it to their in-stock list. Trusting fellows... hopefully they last a while. They are both plane guys, but like all RC's.

If you have a good LHS, support it. While I know I can get better deals online for many of the things I need, unless the markup is overboard I'll always order through my LHS when possible. Luckily, I have a top-notch LHS with very knowledgeable staff nearby (Remote Control Hobbies in Woodinville, WA). Since becoming a first-name basis regular customer they've thrown me discounts occasionally too, which is always appreciated.

I'd rather spend a few extra bucks to support a small local business. I'm the kind of person that values quality and will spend extra to get it (service & support in this case) but for many people (especially younger or on a limited budget) online may be a better option. It's the same reason I like RCNT so much. While it's not the largest or most active forum on the net, the people and community make it worthwhile.

IMO,,, go for the best price!!! All you have to do is hang out at your LHS once a week and they'll help you with anything. Make friends, but dont get screwed by them. Buy all of your fuel and plugs from them and little things like shock oil springs. But if it's a big purchase get the best price. With nitro only the manufacturer will back it.