Let'em burn

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_savage

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was going to put this in my "coming back" thread but i think it deserves its own thread. This is the deal. I live rather far away from any lhs and i am looking at an easy hour and a half to get to one. Once i am in the area, there are 3 shops within 15 minutes of each other.
I left today and got the farthest one away at 10am. The shop was nice enough and they had an onroad and offroad track but the guy inside was in his 50's and only knew planes. He tried to help but never left behind the desk to show me where things were located or to even look if they had it. No biggie, i was hoping to buy some fuel, plugs, aro, wheel nuts, and other misc but they just didn't have it. I thanked him for his time and drove to the next shop. I have been to this place before but don't like going these because the guys can be pricks. The problem is that they carry everything i need. SO i walk in and stand in front of the counter where they have a fuel. The guy comes around and says. "Do you need something?" But he said it in a "you are wasting my time kind of way". The instant attitude just burns me up. I am a customer looking to support your business and just because you are the only dealer around doesn't give you the right to be a wanker. So i tell him the fuel i need and he gets it. Then he asks, "anything else"?. same attitude as before. I rattle off the rest of what i need and he gets it, charges my card, hands me my receipt and walks off.
Third and final shop i go to is one that i was at yesterday. I bought the wrong glow plugs so i was looking to just swap them out. I bring them in and tell them i need to swap these for some LC4's. I get "we don't carry those........" and he walks back to the truck he was working on. I said is there a substitute you would recommend? He points to the glow plug board and says "take your pick". I am already fired up from the other shop so i said to just give me 3 lc3's and i will give them to whoever buys the tmaxx.

All that to say i am done with lhs's. They can all file bankruptcy and go under as far as i am concerned if thats the service they offer. I know they have some good shops out there but i have only found one out of the 7 or 8 i have been to. I know people say we need the lhs to support the hobby but there is no way they are winning people over to the hobby if they treat them as if they don't need their business. More expensive, not helpful, and arrogrant. Thats the LHS definition around here.

I just had to get that off my chest.

I'm right there with ya man, my lhs is also about an hour away and they sure can be dooosh bags....and i hate to say it but i usually have to answer my questions for them lol then try to see if they have what i need....they have gotten alot better or i have gotten used to them but i just buy everything off the net now days.

I feel your pain man, I am lucky enough that I don't have to drive that far to get to a LHS, but only 1 of about 4 in my area are worth visiting, the other 3 all have dooosh bag arogant a$$holes working at them...

I guess I'm lucky...... mine are pretty nice.

Two of the four within a half hour to 45 minute drive from me have closed in the last year. Out of the two left, one has quite a bit of stock, but have that bullshit attitude like they are doing me a favor, plus their prices are outrageous, so I refuse to go there. Th other, the guys are pretty helpful, no attitude, but they just don't have the stock. They are willing to order it, but that becomes two trips, and by the time I add gas and my time I might as well just order online and have it delivered to me in the same amount of time or less.

mine see my taser and r nice. :)

More expensive, not helpful, and arrogrant. Thats the LHS definition around here.

I got the same treatment from the shops that are closest to me. I have to drive an hour to get to them just to get that holier than thow attitude. I quit going to them, I'm now a 100% online shopper.

I don't know what it is... The closest shop to me is now an hour and a half away, and they are the same way.... arrogant... and pushy, not to mention expensive. I miss the shop that was 10 minutes from my house and just closed after 35 years. Great service and prices that were compairable to the online guys. Where on the job application does it say "are you a prick?" I am totally an online guy now as well.

I went to my local HobbytownUSA on their apparent geek fest night where they all play that annoying dungeons and dragons role play crap in person. Bunch of nerds.The worker was more interested in what was going on with the gameplay (apparently refereeing) than what I was doing behind the counter looking at parts. I went behind the counter to get something off the wall after nearly 20 minutes of trying to get eye contact with the guy so he could get it for me. I had went there to purchase a slash, but gave up when noone would answer my questions so I threw the parts I had in my hand back on their counter and walked out. I wasn't about to walk over and interrupt these people, they were feirce with their snot rubbing mits and $1,000 dice.

I am also fed up with my LHS. The other always has a guy working there that's drunk, and I remember asking for parts for my mini-t and he would tell me every time "why do you want to mess with that thing...?". I finally got annoyed and said, "Do you really plan to stay in business with this attidtude? I came in here asking for something, I'm pointing directly at it with money in my pocket telling you I want it...What gives!?"

Needless to say, he walks over, claims he doesn't have the part in stock, so I said F#@$ it and walked out.

the best hobby store is 15 min from me. the people are nice and they have usually everything you need. the closer one is 10 min away. they are nice but don't have the stock i need.

i got 2 within 5 minutes of me. one is mostly planes but has a few items for ground rigs and a few trucks. they are helpfull most of the time, but dont quite seem like they are up on the new tech coming out. i guess they are both air guys and dont really mess with ground rigs themselves. but they help none the less.

the other is more of an all around hobby place they got everything from paint the number to high end planes and an array of ground vehicles. the owner is ok, as long as your buying something, his wife is quiet, just kinda runs the register, but the guy they have doing repairs is pretty cool. if he isnt busy he will set and chat with you, even offerend to help me tune my rotofly so it would fly right. he is into helis and ground rigs so he seems to know a bit.

the prices at both seem to be a couple of dollars over what i would spend online plus shipping. its worth it if i need a part fast. on there rigs, i dont know, never really priced them.

Now that Joe from East Machining is carrying stuff I need, I always check with him first, no attitude, and if he doesn't have it, he can usually order what I need at a decent price. He is only like 5-10 minutes from me, plus I get a sneak peek at the new stuff he is working on. :D

Now that Joe from East Machining is carrying stuff I need, I always check with him first, no attitude, and if he doesn't have it, he can usually order what I need at a decent price. He is only like 5-10 minutes from me, plus I get a sneak peek at the new stuff he is working on. :D

Rub it in Joe! LOL Maybe the Steelers can beat the Cards! :stick:

my lhs is 15min away but he is 30% hiogher on prices so i go hour away and the people only no about airplanes so ask them something and all they say is idk

I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy around here who has teh problem of bad lhss

the one in town nows some what about it so i go there first find out wat i need and go to the other one and buy them usely save 20 50 bucks. i have a hobbytown usa but that store is a joke they higher high school kids that work most of the time and have no clue on what the part is or what its for

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences NC. I've mentioned them before but I got lucky somehow with my closest LHS. If anyone in the Seattle/Puget Sound region needs a good LHS, Remote Control Hobbies in Woodinville, WA rocks. Knowledgeable staff, no bull, no attitude. Basically a bunch of guys you'd have fun drinking beer with while out bashing.

Last time I was there I mentioned I was coming in to some spending money and would be coming down later this week to order a bunch of stuff (a drifter, 1/8 buggy, charger, lipo, receivers etc) and was looking for recommendations on what things to look at since I knew in general what I wanted but hadn't settled on many particular brands/items. Because I've been a good constant customer there the owner just made a list and ordered everything they didn't have in stock for me no money down so I wouldn't have to wait and could pick it up all at once. Then we spent a solid hour with their RC guru figuring out the best way to spend my money :)

I'm totally stoked and can't wait for tomorrow! New toys!

Back