LED light wiring

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I have an led kit that came with this rc drift car and all the wires are somehow connectoed together like a big loop, I was wondering If I cut a wire off, will it interupt the flow of electricity and ruin other connections? I bought some new leds so I wanted to swap out like the brake lights and turn signals but keep the main head and tail lights.
20231010_205220.jpg

I'm surprised you haven't gotten an answer yet. This circuit looks to be in series meaning if you cut a wire the whole system will not work but you could always cut the brake light and install your new ones where the old ones were or just remove the light and connect the wires together. if my explanation doesn't make any sense I'll try to find a few articles about basic electrical

maxresdefault-1498262594.jpg

I'm surprised you haven't gotten an answer yet. This circuit looks to be in series meaning if you cut a wire the whole system will not work but you could always cut the brake light and install your new ones where the old ones were or just remove the light and connect the wires together. if my explanation doesn't make any sense I'll try to find a few articles about basic electrical

View attachment 172920
So I could just cut like the led off or what do you mean by just cut the brake light off? Amazing answer though

So I could just cut like the led off or what do you mean by just cut the brake light off? Amazing answer though
I didn't explain too well. Find the tail light then cut the wires from them, after that connect the 2 wires you cut. I'll leave a photo below to hopefully explain better what i just said. I saw there was 2 wires in entering the light. Do you have 2 leds in your tail light? Either way it shouldn't make a difference as long as you isolate the spare with electrical tape or shrink wrap. I'm no expert but i've been taught a little bit about electrical. Personally i wouldn't do it but if you do i hope i helped you

20231010_205220~2.jpg

Ohhh okay I get it way better now, thanks so much man and yea i have 2 lights in each tailight, brake light and turn signal

Last edited:
College was a long time ago and I've forgot a lot since then but if I recall correctly, voltage is additive in series circuits. Meaning each LED drops a certain amount of voltage in the circuit. If you change the amount of LED's in the series circuit, then you also change the voltage dropped at each LED. If your going to add more LED's than what's there already, you'd need to parallel wire the additional LEDs to keep the correct voltage to each one. If your going to run less, then you'd need to add a resistor to drop the extra voltage. All depends on what the voltage range for the LED's are. Most are very voltage sensitive. You'd need to look at the voltage specs for the LED kit you have to know what your working with. That or light them up and read voltage drop per LED and go from there.

I wouldn’t be too hasty to say the connections are in series. There’s a double wire leading to each and every LED. Connecting them into series would require only a single wire going between the components.

A better picture would help a lot.