LEAN OR RICH?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, take a look at this video, is my rc running too lean or too rich? I'm not sure, there is smoke from the exhaust though.

The Idle is too high, but revving it up to less than 1/4 throttle doesn't give us any information on weather it's too lean or rich on the high end. One thing you do need to do is turn down the idle. And BTW, the video is a bit useless to be honest- to put it bluntly. Recently we've had a few posts by people who seem to be incapable of taking a vaguely helpful video, or even type anything, for example:
Thinking of switching my tax 3.3 for piccolo .26 I have a track with RPM arms bulkheads shock towers and skid plates big bore suspension itedgy drive shafts and upgraded to 17mm hubs with big Joe proline rims and tires positives/negatives
Sorry to have a go but it's getting a bit boring...

Anyway's please follow this great guide to tune your engine, it's very helpful:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/
:)

The Idle is too high, but revving it up to less than 1/4 throttle doesn't give us any information on weather it's too lean or rich on the high end. One thing you do need to do is turn down the idle. And BTW, the video is a bit useless to be honest- to put it bluntly. Recently we've had a few posts by people who seem to be incapable of taking a vaguely helpful video, or even type anything, for example:
Thinking of switching my tax 3.3 for piccolo .26 I have a track with RPM arms bulkheads shock towers and skid plates big bore suspension itedgy drive shafts and upgraded to 17mm hubs with big Joe proline rims and tires positives/negatives
Sorry to have a go but it's getting a bit boring...

Anyway's please follow this great guide to tune your engine, it's very helpful:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/
:)
So i should turn my idle in clockwise a little bit?

So i should turn my idle in clockwise a little bit?
There should be about a 1 mm Gap on the slide, but changing the idle screw doesn't alter the fuel mixture- that's what the high speed and low speed needle do- which we can only tune at higher speeds than idle and blips of the throttle on a black video. Please follow the guide I linked above, and then if you're still having problems come back :)

Last edited:
There should be a 2-3mm Gap on the slide, but changing the idle doesn't alter the fuel mixture- that's what the high speed and low speed needle do- which we can only tune at higher speeds than idle and blips of the throttle. Please follow the guide I linked above, and then if you're still having problems come back :)
At idle the gap in the slide should be actually about 1mm or the width of a credit card.

Richen the LSN, leave the Idle Gap alone if it's set to about 1mm.

The Idle Gap is just about a set it and forget it's even there(set it & leave it alone), if it's idling too high richen the LSN, Idling too sluggish/low lean out the LSN.

At idle the gap in the slide should be actually about 1mm or the width of a credit card.
Totally true, I always forget how small mm are, and always overestimate there size- I've edited the post :p