Kyosho vs Serpent

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I've decided to build a new truggy. I told my son (who races Losi) I'm building a franktruggy, and if he doesn't race it - then I will. - and he quickly grabbed it. ;-)

I have most of the design down, with setup aimed at his home track.
Engine:Clocked Bonito
Pipe: Still evaluating (either Werks of Nova)
Clutch: M2C 4-shoe alum. I'll tune (shoe weight, springs and flywheel weight, etc.) after we break it in.
Servos: HiTec 7950 steering/7940 linkage

The only other large choice is the chassis. :hehe: Right now its narrowed to two:
Serpent S811
Kyosho Inferno ST-RR Evo

I'm really leaning toward the Serpent (I think Kyosho tends to over-price)...but regardless want the best. Would love to hear any all experience that some of you might have had with either. We currently don't own a Kyosho or Serpent....so either one will be a perfect addition. Yes, I realize this is a lot of cash, but we're fortunate it's in our budget and I like to build world class. Consequently, seek any and all feedback to make decisions. Thanks!

I've seen the Kyosho run real fast by real fast drivers. I personally never driven one, But I know there fast on a tight track.

I've seen the Kyosho run real fast by real fast drivers. I personally never driven one, But I know there fast on a tight track.

Yeah...I agree with you there. A lot of guys at our track run MP9's and they are as impressive as you'll see. I wish I could see some Serpents up close...

I've decided to build a new truggy. I told my son (who races Losi) I'm building a franktruggy, and if he doesn't race it - then I will. - and he quickly grabbed it. ;-)

I have most of the design down, with setup aimed at his home track.
Engine:Clocked Bonito
Pipe: Still evaluating (either Werks of Nova)
Clutch: M2C 4-shoe alum. I'll tune (shoe weight, springs and flywheel weight, etc.) after we break it in.
Servos: HiTec 7950 steering/7940 linkage

The only other large choice is the chassis. :hehe: Right now its narrowed to two:
Serpent S811
Kyosho Inferno ST-RR Evo

I'm really leaning toward the Serpent (I think Kyosho tends to over-price)...but regardless want the best. Would love to hear any all experience that some of you might have had with either. We currently don't own a Kyosho or Serpent....so either one will be a perfect addition. Yes, I realize this is a lot of cash, but we're fortunate it's in our budget and I like to build world class. Consequently, seek any and all feedback to make decisions. Thanks!

I recommend the Kyosho because they handle great and are extremely rugged requiring rare parts replacement.

If you decide on a Serpent you should be able to find one used.

Lee

Thank you. My thought is they are both extremely durable (as are Mugen/Losi/AE/Hot Bodies/XRay, etc).

I'm looking for characteristics. My son likes pretty aggressive cars...I'm probably going to have him test drive both. I'm leaning a bit toward Serpent.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxv08VlQ7oo"]Serpent 1/8 Cobra-T for Truggy , 1st test with Billy Easton driving - YouTube[/ame]

That’s some good driving in the video. You do realize however that something broke on the last jump...

Aggressiveness is in the hands of the driver. You can just drive some rigs more aggressively than others.

That’s some good driving in the video. You do realize however that something broke on the last jump...

Aggressiveness is in the hands of the driver. You can just drive some rigs more aggressively than others.

Yeah, I saw that. I don't take that to believe Serpent is any less durable than Kyosho of course--it happens. My son's 8ight 2.0 outlasts MP9's on the track all the time...it's a war of attrition and am confident I can make any vehicle as durable as it needs to be.

I also believe that aggressiveness actually is a characteristic of a vehicle...or another way to put it, some are more forgiving than others. I find Losi and AE quite aggressive where Mugen and Hot Bodies are more forgiving. It's a matter of preference---but there is a difference, at least in my experience.

And yes--that was some sick driving. The best I've ever seen in person, however....was an MP9. This is why I'm so much on the fence. ;-)

Back