Kyosho Raider Resto-mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I am trying to restore, and upgrade my Kyosho Raider ARR, this will probably take a while due to time, and money constraints. I already got a Traxxas XL-5 ESC in it to replace the mechanical speed control. It needs a ton of more work.

Attachments

• 8232C19C-E902-461D-BBB5-A69E8FB96D6F.jpeg
    8232C19C-E902-461D-BBB5-A69E8FB96D6F.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 451
That's a nice vintage rig you got there!

What is you end goal for it?
I plan on getting it running perfectly, I don’t have a specific thing I want to use it for. I also don’t want to put brushless in it due to the added stress to the driveshafts. It’s already capable of running 2s lipos.

I plan on getting it running perfectly, I don’t have a specific thing I want to use it for. I also don’t want to put brushless in it due to the added stress to the driveshafts. It’s already capable of running 2s lipos.
What does it need? Looks complete to me.

What does it need? Looks complete to me.
New servo, new transmitter and receiver, bearings, possibly a new body if i can find a repro body, and stickers, new front upper arm due to the left arm being snapped in half, it’s currently held together with tape, it also needs a deep cleaning.

Oof all new electronics. How's the motor in it?
It has a Lemans 240st motor which is actually super quick, I won’t be changing it. The new transmitter and receiver isn’t necessary, but it will give better range, and use less AA batteries.

It has a Lemans 240st motor which is actually super quick, I won’t be changing it. The new transmitter and receiver isn’t necessary, but it will give better range, and use less AA batteries.
You already got the XL-5 in it, we're you planning on sticking with traxxas?

You already got the XL-5 in it, we're you planning on sticking with traxxas?
I had one laying around from my Slash 2wd which i converted to vxl. I probably won’t be using any more traxxas electronics.

Right, only reason I asked is because I just pulled a Traxxas TQ out of a 4-tec of mine.
Nice, the TQ transmitters feel pretty good to hold, and have amazing range for a lower end transmitter. Unless you are talking about the old 27 mhz transmitter which i have never used before.

Nice, the TQ transmitters feel pretty good to hold, and have amazing range for a lower end transmitter. Unless you are talking about the old 27 mhz transmitter which i have never used before.
Pretty much brand new. Got the traxxas corvette stingray a month or so ago. Only ran it twice with those.
If you're interested we could make a deal. Otherwise it'll just go on Ebay.

Pretty much brand new. Got the traxxas corvette stingray a month or so ago. Only ran it twice with those.
If you're interested we could make a deal. Otherwise it'll just go on Ebay.
I think that the buggy would look better with some original parts so that it still has some character to it. Thanks for the offer, but sorry, I don’t think i’ll need it.

I think that the buggy would look better with some original parts so that it still has some character to it. Thanks for the offer, but sorry, I don’t think i’ll need it.
No worries. Just make sure and keep us all updated on your progress with this rig. 😉

When your 30 year old rc has metal wheel hexes and your modern Traxxas Slash has plastic.
1BC7034A-C39B-4CCC-9770-70BD2267AF11.jpeg

Can the Kyosho Raider handle a brushless motor? Such as this, I only run it on 2s and the car weighs about 1.5 lbs. The motor is a 380 motor in a 540 can.

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while but I finally got a video of the Raider running!

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while but I finally got a video of the Raider running!

i think i have tbe new gear box with motor mounting plates and top cover snagged because i was clueless what it was for...doesn't happen often anymore. Ill give it to you since I'm new here.

i think i have tbe new gear box with motor mounting plates and top cover snagged because i was clueless what it was for...doesn't happen often anymore. Ill give it to you since I'm new here.
Thanks for the offer but I don’t believe that I need it, you could probably sell that since there are very few of them out there, there are probably people out there that need it.

Back