Kyosho Inferno MP6 rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatbrad

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought a Kyosho Inferno MP6 from eBay. I knew it would need some spares and some work. But it was cheap and as long as the motor runs it should be worth the spares.
I've had a look and worked out what I need to get.
So far I'm looking at
  1. Air Filter
  2. Linkage kit
  3. Brake discs
  4. Brake pads
  5. Servo horn
  6. Clutch
  7. Pullstart
  8. Drive shaft
  9. Transmitter and Receiver
  10. Body Shell
What I bought is attached. The body is a horrific colour. I'm hoping to try and do a take on the Senna Turbo Burns scheme. The McLaren Marlboro scheme is iconic in motorsport and the only 2 more iconic designs (Martini and Gulf) might be a bit difficult for me to recreate at the moment.
But if anyone has any good upgrade ideas I'm open to them. Also a good and cheap place to get the spares from.

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

20220901_143041.jpg

Looking at all the rust, Id order a screw set and a bearing set for it too and replace all of them. If not the screws the bearings for sure. Id also tear down the motor and not only inspect the bearings in there but Id also give it a good cleaning while I had it apart and then seal it against air leaks when I put it back together. Just my .02. Once you get it rebuilt it will be a really nice buggy 👍

Gave the engine a once over at the weekend. Back together, cleaned the fuel lines with some Contact cleaner and then WD40 (going to replace them anyway). Engine fired up with the supplied glow plug but died as soon as I took the plug heater off. Think it's a dying plug though. Parts have been ordered. I'm hoping that the Kyosho IF289 parts will work as a linkage kit even if I have to modify slightly.
I took your advice Wolf and got a bearing kit. Screws seem to be a little more difficult. But as I'm going to have to clean some of the rods, turnbuckles and drive shafts I might get some wet and dry to them and a quick blast of some Satin black paint.
Haven't bought a body for it yet. The spares have cost me best part of £150. But I had read somewhere, might even have been on here, that I can use DOT4 fluid to strip the paint from the body. As mentioned in another post on here I'm also a cyclist so have DOT fluid that's used in the brakes on my MTB so I might give that a go. If not I'll wait until the car is running again before getting a new body for it.

Gave the engine a once over at the weekend. Back together, cleaned the fuel lines with some Contact cleaner and then WD40 (going to replace them anyway). Engine fired up with the supplied glow plug but died as soon as I took the plug heater off. Think it's a dying plug though. Parts have been ordered. I'm hoping that the Kyosho IF289 parts will work as a linkage kit even if I have to modify slightly.
I took your advice Wolf and got a bearing kit. Screws seem to be a little more difficult. But as I'm going to have to clean some of the rods, turnbuckles and drive shafts I might get some wet and dry to them and a quick blast of some Satin black paint.
Haven't bought a body for it yet. The spares have cost me best part of £150. But I had read somewhere, might even have been on here, that I can use DOT4 fluid to strip the paint from the body. As mentioned in another post on here I'm also a cyclist so have DOT fluid that's used in the brakes on my MTB so I might give that a go. If not I'll wait until the car is running again before getting a new body for it.
Dot 4 is better than Dot 3 but its a lot of soaking and a fair amount of scrubbing in the corners/cracks. I've done it once and probably wont ever do it again lol

Dot 4 is better than Dot 3 but its a lot of soaking and a fair amount of scrubbing in the corners/cracks. I've done it once and probably wont ever do it again lol
Might run it for a while with the supplied shell then for now

Took the diffs apart and serviced them. New bearings and a bit of teflon grease. Brake discs and pads had very little wear to them when I inspected them. Bearings fitted all round. Everything cleaned up and fitted back together. Chassis looks very clean with hardly any scuffs and scratches. I don't think it had much use at all previously.
Glow plug changed and new fuel lines fitted. Fired up straight away and screams nicely too. No tingtinging at the top end but it was running very rich. Just waiting for new servo horns, linkages and then a new battery box and switch arrangement and it should be good to go.

Took the diffs apart and serviced them. New bearings and a bit of teflon grease. Brake discs and pads had very little wear to them when I inspected them. Bearings fitted all round. Everything cleaned up and fitted back together. Chassis looks very clean with hardly any scuffs and scratches. I don't think it had much use at all previously.
Glow plug changed and new fuel lines fitted. Fired up straight away and screams nicely too. No tingtinging at the top end but it was running very rich. Just waiting for new servo horns, linkages and then a new battery box and switch arrangement and it should be good to go.
Sounds like you're making good progress on it!

I got it all back together and running. Ran a full tank of fuel. Seems to spit a lot of oil out of the exhaust until it's up to temp. But towards the end of the run the motor melted right through the pullstart cord. I don't think it was pulled fully back in. So It's either a new Motor or a starter box. The Pullstart for the Landmax GS21 seems to be a bit like rocking horse Poo.