Kyosho gx 12 questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irongamer727

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! Note I am completely new to this type of engines. Anyway, today I bought my very first nitro engine. A gx 12.
It has everything excpt fuel tank and glow lighter which I have to buy. And FUEL. My idea is, I only want to get it running at the moment. Don't have a car to put it in. Could I simply use methanol and oil in it? Skip the nitro(to save money). It should start and run right? Just not produce the same power.
If not, why?

I have had a GX-15 myself too for almost a year now. She's got a lot of 'experiments', and she's still like new. They are reliable little engines, so chances are it might take pure methanol, too (with oil, of course).
I usually run 16% nitro at all times (since I like my compression high), but I will start setting her up for pure methanol + oil soon.
Also, it may sound stupid but, DO NOT confuse methanol with ethanol. I've seen some people say I can get 'fuel for my toy' from the pump station. Yeah...no, they were talking about ethanol, and they weren't talking about a toy either :p
Your fuel should contain around 20% castor oil. I personally don't recommend synthetic oil. Remember to keep the fuel you brew in a tight container. Although I would recommend to cash in for a liter of normal nitro fuel if it doesn't work.
Tell us how it works!