Keeping the tires on the rim.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaFan

ROLL TIDE!!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my buddy has a 1/8 scale car and he can't keep the tires from blowing off the rim. I've never had this issue so I'm out of options trying to help him with this problem. We have gorilla taped the inside of the rims and used the best glue they make. Soon as he even eases on the throttle and gets past half throttle the tires literally balloon and blow off the rims. We went today and bought better XO1 tires and still same issue. The only other solution I know to fix it is bead lock rims. The only problem with that is there $60 a pair for just the wheels. So my question is there a better solution to fix this issue without buying the bead lock's?

The groove in the wheels needs to be cleaned with alcohol, same with the tire beads. Then they need to be glued with CA, or super glue. You need to roll back the bead as you run the glue in there. Hobby shops sell a special tire glue, but it's just a thicker, slower setting CA. Any good hardware store will have what you need.
Let them sit over night before running them.

I was skeptical about this glue until I tested it against others. It’s the best glue I know of for high speed.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAYK&P=7
If he blew pre mount XO-1 tires off the rim due to a glue failure, that’s a rarity. A few of my buddies run 8S @ over 100mph with pre mount XO-1 tires and I’ve yet to see the glue fail, I have seen the tires fail but the tire bead was still glued to the wheel.

Thanks guys. I will pass the info on to my buddy.

Back