keep breaking rear shocks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman1204

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well not really breaking but pulling the plastic rod ends off of the shock rod. This happens almost everytime I bash my revo. I have replaced the shock shaft thinking maybe the thread were bad and have replaced all rod ends and hollow balls but still they keep pulling off the shock shaft. Any ideas?

try lowering your ride hight a little as it sounds like your getting to a point where the axles drop so far and the shock shaft falls out.

I did have it pretty much maxed out as far as ride height but I have since lowered and have still broke two ends. I am running the pushrods in the middle holes on the arms and have about 6 turns of preload on the springs.

pop them in the outer holes closest to the wheel, the angle may help/prevent it happening.

But I really need the higher ground clearance for where I am running. Is there no other way to prevent this from happening? What about aluminum shock ends

But I really need the higher ground clearance for where I am running. Is there no other way to prevent this from happening? What about aluminum shock ends

no idea bud but they would be stronger.

i have never suffered from this problem and my eb4 gets a serious pounding! i was spit balling some idea's that i would try if it was to happen to me.

Are you positive you are running the correct pushrods for the longtravel? I'm assuming thats the rockers you are using since you said you had the ride height maxed out. If your not using the correct pushrods thats more than likely your problem. It doesn't result from the extension of the shock but the compression. If you have the wrong pushrods {two long} then when the truck bottoms out the pushrods will still be trying to compress the shock when its already all the way compressed, thus causig the end to split or break off.

I am using p2 rockers with the aluminum pushrods and spacers. I ordered everything off of amain that it said to use the p2 rockers correctly.

Are you aware of the fact that the p2 are the second to lowest stance you can have on your truck? you want some clearance go with p1s or longtravel

I had p1's and was breaking shock ends like no tomorrow so I went to the p2 to try and stop the problem but they are still breaking.

It just keeps pulling the rod end off of the shock shaft. I have yet to blow a shock cap off but I think I am on my 10th rod end just on my rear shocks.

---------- Post added at 9:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:30 PM ----------

Photo!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what you want pics of. The shock shaft is fine and the rod end appears to be ok but the threads are stripped out of it.

It just keeps pulling the rod end off of the shock shaft. I have yet to blow a shock cap off but I think I am on my 10th rod end just on my rear shocks.

---------- Post added at 9:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:30 PM ----------

Not sure what you want pics of. The shock shaft is fine and the rod end appears to be ok but the threads are stripped out of it.

need pics of setup before its broken, what it looks like after it breaks, then single pics of the broken parts would help. or at least a pic of the rig with the broken pieces installed showing where they broke.

Usually when that happens it's from doing wheelies. There are aluminum shock ends available too ya know, but they can cause the end of the shock to bend slightly....I haven't had any issues with the aluminum ends at all.

Make sure your truck bottoms out on the skidplates before the shocks bottom out.

+1^^ aluminum ball ends on rear revo shocks fixed my issue as well.

its from the suspension extending off of jumps, or getting pulled down on a hard tumble. I smashed quite a few, and never figured out how to stop it.

you can put alum on there, but you are just going to transfer that stress to something else (see: more expensive).

you need to figure out how to limit the down travel. so that the shock isnt what stops the movement.

i have never had that problem on my revo and have all the same components. Just try every different setup possible. At least the rod ends are cheap and easy to fix. U will figure it out eventually.

The only thing you're gonna transfer the load to is the rocker posts, but they're weak and cheap anyway. Aluminum ends will solve your troubles.
Definitely make sure the skidplates touch before the shocks run out of travel.

When I ran aluminum ends, I snapped shock shafts... which can get pricey and are not quick things to replace.

Really sounds like your just pushing it too hard/expecting too much from it. Do you do a lot of big air jumps? Wipe out hard with cart wheels?

What oil are you running in your shocks?

I run P2 rockers/rods, RPM true-track on the rear, teflon coated bodies/tini shafts on my revo with the variable rate internal baffles on the shocks. 99% sure I'm running 50 weight oil. I have them at the tallest hole on the arms as well.

My rod ends get deformed over time and I replace them before they break, but I haven't had one rip off a shock... ever.

I rarely hit a jump that sends me more than 4-5 feet off the ground due to it slapping the ground so hard when it lands... I have my savage for big air. The revo just isn't built for it. It can do it, but not absorb the impact as well while still being a decent driver. At least not IME.

Back