Just got back into the hobby for the 3rd time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iH8Nitros

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Got some fleabay slayers and have had a ecx nitro revenge for a few years. Now, why i finally registered on my first RC forum, Glow plugs.
fleabay slayer got a new 3.3 motor in it, and the 2 BRAND NEW traxxas 3232x glow plugs will die the second i release the glow starter.

So I broke it in on an old plug, fouled it out as is typical, got another used plug out of a k4.6 motor, and it runs great, but i was running it hard in sand after break in and toasted the plug. (Who knows how many gallons this old plug had on it.)

So lastly, I pull the plug from my nitro revenge and it still runs perfect, but NEITHER 3232x that is brand new will run after removing the glow starter. Not in my slayer, nor in my ecx that has been running PERFECT on the same plug for 2+ years, probably 20 tanks or more of gas. Ecx and slayer have excellent pinch and compression when cold. I always warm them up good with a hair dryer.

As is typical, I went back to the hobby shop and he claims, "no way, not two bad traxxas plugs, its gotta be in your tune."

How the heck else do two brand spankin new plugs NOT run when I am running tank after tank in the slayer on old plugs, and even other new cold plugs work? I stated this and he just kept walking back on a bad tune. I'm out $16 for the two 3232x's, and not like its the end of the world, but annoying to spend 2 decent meals worth of money on some steel paperweights.

Opinions?

I've never had a plug that did that. Either it worked or it didn't. Traxxas or otherwise. I have had break-in's where the engine was rich and it would stall if I didn't let it run a bit while the heater was on it.

That said, I don't run traxxas plugs typically. Even when I ran traxxas engines, I used OS LC3 or LC4 plugs. Usually LC4 since I run 25% and they seemed to run better with a bit cooler plug on 25% fuel. I don't have a rig with a traxxas engine anymore, one revo has an LRP28 and my other has an OS21TM. The LRP gets an odonnel purple plug and the 21TM gets an OS LC4 plug.

I've had plugs last years and others last a tank. Usually when they were bad, even with the heater on, they were hard to start and didn't idle well. Then I'd throw in a new plug to rule it out and 9 out of 10 times, that would be the issue.

It's possible they had a bad run of plugs. I would test the ones I had in the igniter, out of the engine to see how the light up. Throw in a new one, maybe different brand and see how it goes for sure. It kind of sounds like the LHS lost a customer over $16. Smh.

It doesn't make sense that the LHS would just dismiss a customers issue and not address it. For $16 it's not worth losing a customer especially in this day and age when you can get anything you want online and get it cheaper and usually ships for free. If you're an Amazon Prime customer you can even get it same day or next day. Brick and mortar stores dont get that each of those customers are becoming a rarer commodity and that they could be one customer away from closing their doors permanently. I used to go to this local LHS and was a loyal customer until they closed their business. Though I could get my stuff online I chose to support the local small business and spent thousands every year until they closed. The reason I supported them was not because their prices were cheaper it was because they provided me with excellent customer service. I don't buy every time I came by and I usually just hanged out to check out what's new and sometimes I went there for help with a project but they always treated me very well regardless if I bought something or not.
It's possible they had a bad run of plugs. I would test the ones I had in the igniter, out of the engine to see how the light up. Throw in a new one, maybe different brand and see how it goes for sure. It kind of sounds like the LHS lost a customer over $16. Smh.