Just got a glow engine nitro airplane, need advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golfpilot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I have been flying 3ch electric champ and 4ch spitfire for the past couple months. The last 20 charges or so I havent had a crash, just fly stunts and land. So I was looking for a new plane, something bigger. I was offered a well built used 4ch glow powered trainer in awesome condition (not a scratch on it). Got it for a steal of a price. Really neat guy. He set me up with pretty much everything I need to get started. I have some serious questions before I get this animal airborne though. I'll just list them.
1) Will my 4 channel ultra micro expertise translate at all to flying this big bird?
2) I still need to set up a receiver, I have a dx6i transmitter. I am going to get the 4 channel spectrum receiver. The guy suggested I upgrade the battery. What battery should I get? how often do I need to charge it?
3) I'm nervous about the plane being so much bigger I won't be able to fly it. What do I need to look out for.

I know how to start and tune the engine, I'm mostly concerned about this battery thing and whether or not the learning curve will be too steep from the ultra micro to glow powered monster sized.

Funny fact: The guy I purchased it from lives over 100 miles away. I flew out there in my plane to pick it up! This RC got to see how a big plane flies!

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0134 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0134 (Custom).JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 175
It looks flawless. A real score.
You have a 6 ch radio, so you'll get a 6 or 7 channel rx. I think only the ground frequencies have 4, but I might be wrong. Still, go with the 6 or 7 for future use.
Everything you learned with the electrics will translate to this one, other than using the ailerons for steering rather than the rudder.
Check the manufactures specs on that plane to see what they recommend for a battery pack. Most people can fly most of the day with one complete charge.
You'll need to get a timer so you'll know when to bring it it without running out of fuel.

I went with a four channel spectrum receiver. It works perfect! Do I just let the antennas hang out the side?
Also all the controls were backward. I was able to set them as reverse on the transmitter though so its not a big deal at all.
Broke the little rudder hinges while installing the battery... Not really sure how to repair this? tape maybe?

I don't know what kind of hinges you have. Can you give more info or post a pic? You don't want taped parts coming off in the air. :whhooo:

Is that a .40 size?

This is the best picture of the hinges I could take. You could see the tape I put there. It probably would hold up but would much rather prefer making the correct fix.
Yes It is a .40. Is it stupid to ask if its a good engine?

Attachments

• IMG_0141 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0141 (Custom).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0142 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0142 (Custom).JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 176
OS is an excellent engine, and the .40 is the most common size for airplanes.

Hard to tell by the pic, but if it's a fiber hinge you'll need to replace it. Tape won't hold with a .40 plane.
You can also replace it with a pinned hinge. Check a local hobby shop for them.

Your a ton of help Rolex.
I've been running the engine in my backyard, trying to learn the quarks to keeping this thing running. I have come to realize it is a little different than a real plane in that you don't want to start it full rich.
I started it fairly rich and leaned it out until the engine was running at its best, I then richened it a few notches.
My problem comes about at this point. It is running great at high speeds then I pull the throttle all the way back, it sputters then goes out. I have set the throttle trim up a few notches and it fixed the problem!
Am I right in that the mixture setting has a very small amount of room to adjust to get it to run at a low idle and also at a high speed?

Your LSN might be a little on the rich side. Adjusting that would improve your idle.
Nice flight...safe landing. :whhooo:

Back